Stirlings involved in D Day

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
jossp
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Stirlings involved in D Day

Post by jossp »

Could anyone please help? I am researching a casualty of D Day who was in 7th Batt, Parachute Regiment who flew from Fairford on 5 June 1944 to France. I would like to know a bit more about the type of aircraft they flew there in. I have read that they flew in 33 'Stirling Bombers', and that 31 returned. I have been led to believe he was on one of the Stirlings shot down by flak with all lost.
My query is; what Squadron would this have been? Would it have been 620 Squadron? What type of aircraft were these? How many crew were there? Who were the RAF men lost? How many Para men would be on board each aircraft? I don't think the ORB would show the names of the Para. Reg men, could someone please confirm?
Thanks.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: Stirlings involved in D Day

Post by AlanW »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
You are correct, in that the 620sqdn ORB does not show the names of the Para's that took part, but these are the 3 losses for 620sqdn on that date.
Stirling Mk4, EF116, took off 23.40, missing, shot down by flak all crew and passengers killed.
F/Sgt S. Barton.
F/Sgt H.M. Bittener.
Sgt H. Reid.
Sgt F. Crosse.
Sgt G. Wallis.
Sgt T. Smith.

Stirling Mk4, LJ268, took off 23.35, missing, all killed.
P/O I.N. Caskey.
F/O T.R. Barker.
F/Sgt T. Johnson.
Sgt S. Smith.
F/Sgt H. Hewitt.
F/Sgt R. Sparkes.

Stirling Mk4 EF295, took off 23.45, missing, 4 killed, 2 pow.
S/Ldr W.R. Pettit.
F/O R. Watkins.
F/Sgt R. Atkinson.
Sgt G. Maund.
F/Sgt R.F. Kebbell, (pow)
Sgt A. Pryce, (pow)

What is the name of the Para you are seeking info on.
Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Welcome to the forum, along with Alans' details, the forum site is filled with relevant details and images, all you need is the time and the inclination to read through the many posts.
Here is just one detail on D-Day activity with Short Stirlings.
Cheers,
John
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13&start=60#p3310
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
jossp
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by jossp »

Thank you for that Alan & John.
The name of the Para was Alfred Henry James Beard, he is on the CWGC site, and is a relative of a friend of mine. Yes I read the previous posts but he was not in a glider, he actually had a parachute strapped to his back! They were landing to take over at Pegasus Bridge under Pine-Coffin.
Does anyone know if it was 620 Squadron at Fairford then? Would more than one Squadron be using the same airfield? Another friend of mine as a boy witnessed them taking off on that night, he said the sky was full of Stirlings, it must have been a sight!
Jo
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi Jo,
Your relative was on board LJ268 (Caskey) which was hit by flak, and crashed near Dives-sur-Mur, killing all on board,including 20 para's. See scan from Special Duties losses (Harrington)
Attachments
DSCF2224.JPG
DSCF2224.JPG (155.54 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
jossp
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by jossp »

Hi Alan
Thank you so much! Is this taken from a book? If so, which one? I have a photo of his company in front of an aircraft, don't know what it is though. Would you like to see it? If I can manage to do it that is. You may be able to identify the aircraft for me?
Jo
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi Jo,
you can post the photo here, or, send it to me via email, and i'll post it. I'll send my email via a private message
Alan
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

I've received the photo so if you don't mind I publish it (I had to reduce it).
Fred is back right.
The aircraft are Armstrong Whitworth Whitley so the photo could have been taken at Parachute Training School.
Kind regards.

Bruno
Attachments
Fred Beard backright 1.jpg
Fred Beard backright 1.jpg (204.75 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi Jo,
Thanks for letting Bruno have such a nice photo to publish on the forum, sad to see those smiling faces, and wonder, apart from Fred, how many of the others did not make it back. I've been busy, and have found further info on a marvelous site that i did not know of before. It seems that he attended #41 Course at Ringway, for parachute training in Dec 42.
Go to this link at www.paradata.org.uk/people/alfred-h-j-beard
Alan.
jossp
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by jossp »

Yes, I have the rest of his story, and of course all the family details. But thanks for all this help today, at last we have found out what happened to him in the end.
'We will remember them.'
Jo