Aircrew cadets

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Aircrew cadets

Post by Nocturna mors »

Hi chaps,
One of my favourite WW2 RAF and commonwealth items I collect are period photographs. I have recently managed to get hold of a couple of photographs dated 1943 from no 8 ITW based in Newquay UK. Both of the photographs have been signed on the reverse by the subjects. Once I have deciphered the signatures, I intend to cross check them with the CWGC. I was just wondering if only aircrew cadets wore the white banding around their forage caps or was this standard practice for other trades also?

Any help would be appreciated

Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: Aircrew cadets

Post by ME453 »

Hello Tom
The white band in the forage cap was for aircrew trainees only, a much sought after status symbol by the favoured few!
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Hi Tom,

I have three group photographs of my uncle Denis, one of which is at 5 ITW in Torquay, it has details the reverse. Unfortunately Denis later died in a crash during training, on the first night of flying from RAF Twinwoods.

There are a large number of these group and crew photographs around and I have tried to find out if anyone is collating them in a single place on line. I wish I had the time and knowledge to do so myself. It would be a fantastic resource for family historians! How do you fancy having a go?

Regards

Guy
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
colinpateman
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by colinpateman »

Tom.

I understand the white flash cap insert was worn until such time as they were awarded their Wing or brevet and then it was handed back to stores.
jerryteale
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by jerryteale »

I just pulled my late father's service record and it appears that he was sent to No. 8 ITW on 28th August 1943. Just wondered if he is in your photograph. His name is TJ Teale.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Jerry,
Welcome to the forum. What squadron did your father go on to.
Alan
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
jerryteale
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by jerryteale »

Thank you Alan
My dad enlisted in January 1943 and trained as a navigator in South Africa (No.48 and 41 Air Schools) and completed OTU training at 76 Aqir, Palestine. The war ended before he completed HCU training at 1675 Abu Sueir so I assume he never joined a squadron. He joined No 216 GroupTransport command and worked at various SPs (Almaza, Bari, Schwechat) before leaving the service in April 1947.

Jerry