Short Stirling N 6046...crashsite located !Recklinghausen /

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Karacho
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Short Stirling N 6046...crashsite located !Recklinghausen /

Post by Karacho »

hello gentlemen,

i´m new to this forum and first kind regards to all here. ...sorry for my bad english...
I´m a hobby-archaelogist in WW-2-aircraft. Since a few yerars i´m searching lost aircrafts in germany, special in the middle of germany , Nordrhein-Westfalen and Rheinland-Pfalz. i have found more than 20 crashsites from raf, usaaf and german airplanes, wich lost in 1939 to 1945.
i´m living in Siegburg, near Cologne.

actually i´m in contact with Uwe Benkel / Vermisstenforschung in Heltersberg.
He ask me to find out the exactly crashsite from Stirling N 6046 / 7 sqd, lost over Recklinghausen on 7.9.1941.
this is theme here in this forum too. ( Ian ) ?
Last weekend i found the exactly crashsite of this Stirling, soth-east of Recklinghausen, in a wood-area.
Two weeks before searching the crashsite i have sighted infomations and looking many maps of this area.
Arrived in the "Erlenweg" in Recklinghausen i met a younger passenger in the forrest, asking him about the Stirling. He doesn´t know about this bomber...but he phoned (handy) his ninty year old grandpa...and he remembers a place in this forrest.
After 30 minutes i arrived some " Bombentrichter ", but no signals with my detector...but near of the last the vdetector gives a signal for dural-aircraft-part.
I´m searching in an area from 50 to 50 meters and found some dural-parts, a cockpit-scala, plexiglas ( with brown colour ), some other aircraft-parts and a lot of 7,7mm mun (empty and burst )...
After one hour driving back home, cleaning the parts.
BOOST-PRESS-scala : SHORT & MASON , MK 3 , London
an REF-no on Bakelit
an Stamp with " S" in it
the exactly numbers i can post, by interrest.
for more informations you can contact me
All informations about the crashsite i sent to Uwe Benkel, he try to contact a person, who asked about the exactly crashsite.
see the pictures...
P1020087.JPG
P1020087.JPG (195.07 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
P1020099.JPG
P1020099.JPG (220.16 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
P1020107.JPG
P1020107.JPG (219.19 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
PS: will report you about another Short-Stirling ( 218 sqd )crashsite next time.

kind regards
Karacho
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Short Stirling N 6046...crashsite located !Recklinghause

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello Karacho and welcome to the forum.

Many thanks for your informative report. Uwe Benkel too, has passed on many details of aircraft to us in the pass and we thank you for your efforts.
Any further details are most welcome.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Hi Karacho and welcome

Some interesting finds you have there. I'm particularly interested in the red object to the right of the Boost dial in the second photo. This is the cover to the engine fire extinguisher button which is located on a panel immediately to the left of the pilot. I don't know if you might be interested in donating it to the Stirling Aircraft Project Charity as we need 4 of these to go in our cockpit replica. This cover looks to be in excellent condition and from what you tell us it's from a Stirling too.

Best regards

John

Secretary - The Stirling Aircraft Project
Davenport7
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Davenport7 »

Karacho,

It's Ian Davenport who made contact via Uwe Benkel with you regarding my research into my grandfathers bomber that crashed in Recklinghausen...you have made mine and my familys dreams come true.

To invest your time and effort I can't thank you enough its taken many years to get to this point.

Recently I have made contact with another aircrew member who was on that bomber with my grandfather and they are equally as pleased to the point like me very emotional.

I can't thank you enough. I have sent you a private email and also emailed Uwe. So I hope you reply to my message Uwe has.

I will be in touch.

One happy grandson, if my grandfather is up there I'm sure he is looking down smiling at me and be proud of me!

Best wishes

Ian Davenport
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi Ian

Amazing news for you today - I assume you might be making a trip out there? You gave me the first connection to my Stirling of interest some years ago now which was a buzz for me, this must be so much more exciting.

Karacho - You may know this already (and I may be wrong!) but if you find numbers stamped on the parts where the second number is 29 then it is a Stirling part. The first number tells you what part of the aircraft it is from I believe that 1 is the fuselage and 3 is a wing component - I don't know the other codes. The rest of the numbers are drawing numbers and won't mean much without the original drawing I guess.

Can I ask a favour? I am modelling a 3D Stirling and really need actual dimensions and photos to make it reasonably accurate. Can I ask if you can measure up the major parameters for me of anything you find, so for example the diameter of the red button and the l x b x d of the rubber block please? Possibly I could just send you a list as you post images? My model is way off completion but here are a couple of WIPs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMyizvILEEg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EM8f2VT2eE

Cheers
James
Davenport7

Post by Davenport7 »

All here is the list of crew from that night my grandfather is Les Davenport serve number 964692 the front gunner

F/sgt A Yardley - Serv.No 748748 ,F/O C.M Hall (Australian) 402002, Sgt. J.H Boulton 742790 ,Sgt J. Sutton 746720 ,Sgt A. Speakman 551472 Sgt D. Owens 528924

All POWs

In 2014 I have made contact with Yardleys family, I spoke with Arthur speakman before Xmas and the rest of the crew have passed away. Like me they are very excited and I am so pleased I made contact with Uwe who passed on info to Karacho.....I hope this is just the start of communication regarding the site and I will get to meet them in June, just awaiting them to get back to me.

Like I said James I am so pleased awaiting confimation from karacha and Uwe I will visit site and want to meet both of them for what they have done for me and my family.

One happy man.

To the Stirling project I will be in touch.

Ian Davenport
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

jamesinnewcastle wrote:Hi Ian

Can I ask a favour? I am modelling a 3D Stirling and really need actual dimensions and photos to make it reasonably accurate. Can I ask if you can measure up the major parameters for me of anything you find, so for example the diameter of the red button and the l x b x d of the rubber block please?
Hi James,

Can't help with the rubber block (where does that go I wonder??) but although we haven't got one of the button covers, I know a man who has and will get the info you need :D

cheers

John
Karacho
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Karacho »

Hello James,

i will send you the diameters from this peaces in next days.

This weekend i will search again on this crashsite N 6046, because last time ( by found the crashsite ) i had just one hour to searching wreckparts with detector... want to find some more parts of this Stirling.
greets
Karacho

PS: ...someone tell me, that the colour ( red ) on the fire-engine-bottom is radioactive...???
Davenport7

Post by Davenport7 »

Karacho,

That is brilliant news you are visiting again.

Can you email me I have sent you a private message on this forum.....

I would like to visit Recklinghausen and meet you and visit the crash site on my grandfathers Stirling with my father. Can you email or message me back regarding this, I was wondering whether you are free in the week beginning 30th June this year?

I look forward to the next visit.

I hope we can meet up in June and investigate further as this place is a part of my family history and I am pleased at all your efforts.

Please contact me on ian_davenport(AT)hotmail.com .........please replace (AT) with @
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Karacho wrote:Hello James,

i will send you the diameters from this peaces in next days.

This weekend i will search again on this crashsite N 6046, because last time ( by found the crashsite ) i had just one hour to searching wreckparts with detector... want to find some more parts of this Stirling.
greets
Karacho

PS: ...someone tell me, that the colour ( red ) on the fire-engine-bottom is radioactive...???
Hi Karacho

I doubt very much that the paint is radioactive although there's every possibility that the paint on the Boost gauge is.....!

To be sure, borrow a geiger counter and run it over all of the items,

John