loss of Stirling HA-U from 218. Sqd , 25.6.1943

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Re: loss of Stirling HA-U from 218. Sqd , 25.6.1943

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Dear Ian,

I am the association historian for No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron. I have just produced a book on the exploits of the squadron which will be published in 2015, any details you can supply the association would be most welcome. I am at this time at the final edit stage be for publication so any additional information / photographs would be most welcome.

Kind regards

Steve

I can be contacted via the squadron website 218squadron.wordpress.com
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
Karacho
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Karacho »

Hello Ian,

a very interresting story about your father and informations about bailing out before the stirling goes down.
Two great boxes with wreckparts ( more than 200 pieces ) from HA-U stay in my "flight-room" at home, a small box i have given to Ian Davenport by meeting in Recklinghausen to donate to the Stirling-association.
Do you know about the fact, that one crewmember from HA-U was found one year after crash ca. 150 mtrs away from crashsite ?
In 2015 i will search more wreckparts from HA-U in the crashsite-area....., a lot of parts are still laying there...
greets
Karacho
Davenport7
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Davenport7 »

Karacho,

I was amazed to discover the relative of the surviving crew member and I am liaising with him and he will join me when i go to the Stirling Aircraft Society to all look through the pieces you kindly gave me to give to the society.....great news.

A real success story!

Ian Davenport
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Hi,

It would be nice if you could share the information with the association, who I might add seems to be excluded from any of the above.

It's a pity you did not contact the association, I have the names of over 300 former members and their families dating back to 1981. It could have saved you some time.

218 Association.
The Nomads
Davenport7

Post by Davenport7 »

Smudger,

I might add to defend myself here, I have been given a box of Stirling wrecked parts to liaise with the Stirling Project regarding this crash that is as far as my involvement goes.

You may see on here that their is a relative of the sole survivor from that crash who plans to visit the Stirling Aircraft Society with me once they are at their new premises. If you wish to send a representative to come along brilliant.

I have been merely acting as an intermediary to assist Karacho's brilliant work at locating the crash site and bringing some closure for Ian Nuttall whos dad was the sole survivor. All I have done is transport the relics from Germany back here and was amazed to see the success of Ian Nuttall finding the post.

I am not sure what you want from me, I have no other details other than parts and what is already published on here.

Maybe you can speak to 'rin' on here (Ian Nuttall) as he is the relative of the sole survivor.

Ian Davenport
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Hi Ian,

Sorry if you took this as a direct slur on you mate, it was not intended that way. I apologise Ian if I have offended you in anyway.

My point was the SAA as an organisation ( and I presume wrongly you are part of it) should in my opinion capitalise on the associations, surely it would make sense to tap into the associations data bases of members, past and present and any primary source material it may hold in its archives. I have addresses of nearly 300 full members since the 1970's, if I include their families making a total of nearly 500 contacts. A great place to start trying to contact past crews and family.

Like I say Ian, I am sorry if my post comes across as directed at you personally, it was not intended that way. Perhaps the SAA should galvanise the various association who operated the Stirling filter the enquires to the relevant association, in a similar way the Mildenhall Register successful does.

Regards

Steve
The Nomads
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Hi All

Just to clarify, The Stirling Project and Stirling Aircraft Society are two completely different entities, not least in the fact that the Project is a Registered Charity. We do however have very close links to the Society although we currently are not funded in any way by them.

Ian

It's not looking like we're moving any time soon and we're making the most of our current albeit temporary location. You're more than welcome to visit with the parts although of necessity we won't have anything specifically on display properly

John L
Davenport7

Post by Davenport7 »

Smudger,

No problem mate and I was not sure I was the best person to approach. I have dealt with you before and no offence personally was taken. Thanks for your help previously with things.

John,

I will contact you in the new year and we will get something sorted ok.

Cheers all

Ian D
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Hi all,

Hoping to re-open this tread.

I am trying to contact Ian Nuttell, if anyone is in contact with Ian, can you please make him aware.

Thanks gents.

Steve
The Nomads
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great to see members interacting and assisting each other. Hopefully, all can benefit from each others knowledge.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"