WW2 RAF Crashes in Bomber County

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

WW2 RAF Crashes in Bomber County

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello folks, thought I'd start a post on 'images' of aircraft that had crashed in Bomber County.
Such a thread my bring out unique images of aircraft that may have crashed but were basically still intact. ( like the image below )

If you feel you have an image that would make a welcome addition to this thread, please post it here ( with all sources listed )
Cheers,
John

K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
MT606
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: WW2 RAF Crashes in Bomber County

Post by MT606 »

what station was that then?
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Sorry mate, l thought I'd had posted the link. I'm away till the weekend and will post it then.
Cheers, John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

MT606 wrote:what station was that then?
Sorry, I've gone back to the web page but nothing is listed.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct= ... 9362317141

Further links ......... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-24651282
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Not quite sure where this aircraft crashed, any comments would be welcome.
John

AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

75sqdn Lancaster ND801, overshot on landing at Mepal, returning from Dortmund 3/4th Feb 45. 4 crew injured.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Many thanks, Alan.
Hope all is well
Cheers,
John
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

Just noticed the photo of ND801 JN-X of C Flight 75 (NZ) squadron.

Flying Officer R. Crawford RNZAF and crew took off from Mepal at 16:41 hours.
Port outer failed prior to reaching the target, but continued on and bombed as briefed.
On return overshot and crashed on landing and the Pilot, Navigator, W/Op, Engineer and A/B were injured and taken to Ely hospital.
I smiled when i saw the last line of the ORB entry which included "Camera completely wrecked". :D
david layne
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by david layne »

My father's crash at Waddington.

2nd September 1941 COPENHAGEN HARBOUR (DENMARK)

Take off time 1940 from Swinderby. Hampden 116. Crew: Pilot P/O Carter, P/O Davidson, Sgt. Layne, Sgt. Gilmore.

The crew was one of 16 Hampden aircraft detailed to drop vegetables (mines) in the Daffodil (Copenhagen) area. Owing to adverse weather conditions and no pin point being obtained the mines were jettisoned at a position pin pointed as 57 degrees North, 10 degrees East.

On their return to base the fuel supply was running low and on reaching Skegness there was only 30 gallons left in the starboard tanks, with Waddington still some thirty miles distant. To further complicate things the whole of the flat lands of Lincolnshire were clothed in a thick layer of fog.

A fix and Q.D.M.’s (magnetic course) for Waddington was obtained. The intercom and TR9 (early radio transceiver) failed a few minutes later and Waddington could not be heard replying to transmissions.

On arrival at Waddington mist preventing the aerodrome from being clearly seen. The starboard engine cut out and a one engine circuit in the proximity of the airfield was made with the crew vainly searching for the runway.

With the loss of the right engine the hydraulic pump that operated the landing gear was made inoperative. Being concerned that his remaining engine would run out of fuel there was no time for Pilot Carter to crank the landing gear down by hand.

The aircraft made a wheels up, forced landing, in a ploughed field close to Waddington aerodrome, sliding through a fence in the process. Fortunately there were no injuries to the crew and just slight damage to the airframe of the aircraft which was dismantled on site, repaired and returned to service with 489 Squadron as a torpedo bomber eventually being struck off charge on 9th June 1944.

It was later determined that the fuel gauges were inaccurate. At this time the pilot, P/O Carter had a total of 140 flying hours, 46 of those being night and 39 hours on Hampdens. On this operation flying time of 9.35 hours was logged by the crew.
Attachments
2index.jpg
2index.jpg (175.84 KiB) Viewed 13967 times
index3.jpg
index3.jpg (53.13 KiB) Viewed 13967 times
Researching my father's time with 50 Squadron, 97 Squadron, Dulug Luft, Stalag Luft VI, Stalag 357 and Stalag Luft III.

http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/