149 Sqd Stirling crash Thorney Island

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Re: 149 Sqd Stirling crash Thorney Island

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi Colin,

If No.149 was carrying out SOE operations it would have been sanctioned and arranged by Tempsford, I am sure no drops were organised without their knowledge. No.218 squadron lost a crew on March 5/6th on return from a SOE Op crashing close to the aerodrome. The Tempsford file I mentioned has details on the prang, so I would give Tempsford a bash mate, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I have some files which I will check when I get home tomorrow.

Regarding the other two files, it really is hit and miss, one of my crashes was 1941, the other 1943, not sure about July 1944, but again worth a look. I will check the files tomorrow Colin and report back.

Cheers

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
colinpateman
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by colinpateman »

Alan & Steve.

I have now received the RAAF A705 report. It is interesting but fails to provide any news of the crash other than I now know it burst into flames after having landed. It does plot the Hospitals but thats about it, that said I am very pleased to add the papers into my work on this crew. I do thank you for the advice and I can see where these can be very rewarding searches. All part of the joy in researching these brave men.
colinpateman

Post by colinpateman »

Stirling update. LJ 477 was known as RED HOT MOMMA and had some nose art in the form of a Popsy I am assuming a lovely lady on the airframe.
Has anyone any memory of seeing any 149 Squadron aircraft with nose art, it would be fantastic to try and track down an image. Thanks for looking Colin.
Bob Wilton
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bob Wilton »

STANNUS.jpg
STANNUS.jpg (206.33 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
Dicam ex animo. Sed nostri evocatis, ut debemus eis libertatem.