Short stirling I N3754 MG-O RAF 7 Squadron

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Short stirling I N3754 MG-O RAF 7 Squadron

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi Ian

Thanks for your reply - no problems with timings, etc.

I am in fact going to TNA in mid December as part of a visit to see my Granddaughter unless my G/F decides I'm not - how does that work I wonder?

If you don't get any other offers let me know what it is you need.

Cheers James
Bob Wilton
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bob Wilton »

Davenport7 wrote:Hello all,

After doing some digging I was able to email and get a reply from Erroll Greens daughter!! She lives in Australia.

Here is part of the dialogue I have had:

my Dad Errol Edward Green died in 1998 two days before his 82nd birthday. My Mother is still alive and will soon be 91,
My Mother worked at Oakington bomber base and they met when one of Dad’s missions was cancelled and he was told with his crew to serve the WAAF’s Christmas dinner 1941.

Dad was released not on D day but VE day this is an error with the report.

Amazing stuff!!

Such a small world.

Ian
Hi Ian,

Unfortunately there is only his personal record and no POW report on the Australian National Archive at the moment.
Dicam ex animo. Sed nostri evocatis, ut debemus eis libertatem.
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Hi All

Errols Greens daughter has been in touch with me and I have supplied her with the squadron ORBs, not sure if anyone has sent these to her before but anyway there are some phrases on them that I do not understand so if anyone can help!

1. Errol Green took part in the first and second 1000 Bomber Raids - on form 540 it is noted that:

OPERATIONS: Second raid of "The Thousand Plan
Detailed: STIRLING N. 3708 S/Ldr CREBBIN DFC
" R. 9306 SGT GREEN

There are other names mentioned but what exactly did this entry mean? What was it to be "Detailed"?

2. D.N.C.O ??

3. T.R. ?? It can be 'bombed on' and can 'fail' But what do the letters stand for?

4, Gardening is dropping mines and the mines are the 'vegtables' but what is 'Rosemary'?

Cheers
James
abc man
Corporal
Corporal

Post by abc man »

1) As shown. Aircraft serial number, skipper, crew. In other words, the battle order for this aircraft.

2) Duty Not Carried Out

3) TR 1335 was the Gee Box. Navigation aid to enhance bombing accuracy.

4) Gardening targets were listed by codewords. Rosemary was an area off Heligoland.
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Hi abc

Thanks for the decodes!

Number 1 is still a mystery though, it occurs on the form that talks about what the whole squadron did for that month and it doesn't mention any of the other crew members or the other dozen or so pilots and crew that went on the same mission. Nothing much special happened to them and the 'detailing' was repeated just once more a little later on the ORB for another date (I didn't mention that). The other officer S/Ldr Crebbin was very decorated and much mentioned. I was wondering if they were each 'detailed' to lead a group of aircraft possibly?

Probably best if I scan the ORB and post it but I am off on Holiday in a few hours so I will be away for a week and possibly cut-off as the tiny buttons on my mobile seem to move around as I try to press them!

James