No.623 Squadron " A Short War"

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
colin
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Re: No.623 Squadron " A Short War"

Post by colin »

Hi Steve
Many thanks for your reply my Great Uncle who served in the 218 & 623 squadron was:
Victor Leonard Twydell, Rank Sergeant, flight engineer, Service number 1804729.
He was a crew member of Stirling EJ125 'HA-J'

Victor took off from RAF Downham Market at 1810 hours on the night of 21 - 22nd February 1944.
His plane was reported as missing on Tuesday 22nd February 1944 over Rottumeroog Island, whilst out on a 'gardening Mission and laying of mines off Borkum, Germany.

I have no other information regarding his Service during the War, of when he joined the airforce, where his training was carried out and of any other sorties he carried out and the amount he carried out in the 218 and the 623.
If there is any other information that you may have it would be very much appreciated if you could inform me, to enable me to fill in these gaps complete my knowledge of my Great Uncle.

I have already purchased the book ' From St Vith, to Victory' it looks a great read, it is a recent purchase and is yet to be started.
Your help is very much appreciated in helping me to fill in the gaps, thank you.
best wishes
Colin