3 March 1945: Lest we forget

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

3 March 1945: Lest we forget

Post by ME453 »

70 years ago today a sprog crew of 467 squadron RAAF on only their third operation took off from RAF Waddington to bomb the Dortmund-Ems canal. Besides the fearsome 88mm flak and the dreaded 20mm flaming onions from the Vierling guns, they were met by the Nachtjagd's top scoring ace, Heinz Wolfgang Schnaufer accompanied by the likes of Martin Drewes and Georg Greiner, all veterans and high scoring aces. The crew of Lancaster ME453 didn't stand a chance, shot down a few miles short of the target at 9.55pm with the loss of all the crew. A few minutes later, the squadron's CO, W/C Langlois became Schnaufer's second victim, five crew being lost. 467 squadron also lost F/Lt Eggins over Holland, and 463 squadron, their sister squadron at Waddington, F/Lt Howells. An expensive night for the Waddington base.
Their sacrifice will not be forgotten, may they rest in peace.
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: 3 March 1945: Lest we forget

Post by K4KittyCrew »

We will remember them, Max.

Yesterday, my daughter and here husband travel to Canberra for the day ( work related ) ........... I found out about this mid morning and knowing that my daughter had never been to the Australian War Museum or had seen Avro Lancaster G for George, I immediately phoned her to insist that if time permitted, for them and the grandson to go.

I told her that it was probable that she may become a little emotional whilst there.

Now my daughter new all about her grandfather and that he had flown 34 operations in Lancasters as a rear gunner so it was extremely pleasing for myself that the next two generations of our family had visited.

As life had it, my daughter rang to say that she couldn't get over how emotional she had been and that she truly valued their time there.
Here's to the next few generations remembering them as well. ( photos attached )

Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Amen to that John. I remember a photo call by G-George!
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

What a wonderful post - Here's to Rowland Ward, Max Venton, Harry Callaghan, Ron Smith, Colin Terras, Bill Chatters and Tom Drennan.

Great to see the family photos of G-George, John.

Max (Junior) - hope you saw the BVM last Friday and the article about Ron Homes's exhibition at Shaftesbury Art Centre? I'll take some photos when I get there.

Richard