Bomber Command Malta?

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Bob Wilton
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Bomber Command Malta?

Post by Bob Wilton »

I believe RAF 21 Squadron flew Martin Marylands,so does anyone know where they were based in 1941,
and where their theatre of operations were? I do know that some may have been Coastal Command.

Thank you
Dicam ex animo. Sed nostri evocatis, ut debemus eis libertatem.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: Bomber Command Malta?

Post by AlanW »

As far as i'm aware, they were based at Luqa, but i think they still had Blenheims, not Marylands, and changed from Blenheim to Ventura in early 42.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Bob Wilton
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bob Wilton »

AlanW wrote:As far as i'm aware, they were based at Luqa, but i think they still had Blenheims, not Marylands, and changed from Blenheim to Ventura in early 42.
Thank you Alan. I have a record of an Australian who was killed in a Maryland.
Bob Wilton
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bob Wilton »

Bob Wilton wrote:
AlanW wrote:As far as i'm aware, they were based at Luqa, but i think they still had Blenheims, not Marylands, and changed from Blenheim to Ventura in early 42.
Thank you Alan. I have a record of an Australian who was killed in a Maryland.

DILLON William John - (Sergeant); Service Number - 404142; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Maryland 1614; Place - Derna, Libya; Date - 12 December 1941
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi Bob, 21sqdn were still at Watten flying Blenheims on the date of Dillon's death. Looking at his file, i notice he was with 21sqdn SAAF, not RAF.
Attachments
Dillon.jpg
Dillon.jpg (174.4 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.