Exactor unit, Stirling?

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
spark plug
Corporal
Corporal

Exactor unit, Stirling?

Post by spark plug »

Large heavy part recovered from Dungeness , The part marked (EXACTOR MK2) is an adjustor of some sort ,
trying to establish if it is from a Whitley,Whirlwind or Stirling I think a MK1 Stirling came down just off Dungeness?
Attachments
exactor 001.jpg
exactor 001.jpg (218.57 KiB) Viewed 5611 times
spark plug
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Exactor unit, Stirling?

Post by spark plug »

Took the part to the Stirling project today and the boys think that it is the reciever end and that it looks like some sort of pump device to maintain hydraulic pressure
The end with the nurling may contain a filter and the other end perhaps the drive taken from the engine. Kev
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi Kev,

Attached is a drawing of the Exactor units fitted to the Stirling engines. I'm not saying that these are all the exactor units - there may be more. The ones you can see seem to be the standard receivers and they are mounted away from the engines themselves with no sign of the intimate contact that your unit seems to require.
Attachments
Dome006a.jpg
Dome006a.jpg (208.22 KiB) Viewed 5591 times
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

On what seems to be the 'normal' Exactor Unit the filler cap is on the sender, does this imply that your unit is the sender?

The Exactor units seem to be exactly the same as the Brake hydraulics on an older car except that there is no mechanical advantage and so the pressure/distance travelled is the same at both receiver and transmitter. The pressure in the pipe I think would be exactly the same all the time whatever the position of the sender, or rather it is the same as the resistance of the item being operated.

So adding any sort of external pump pressure to that pipe would not represent the sender position and the receiver would simply slam across to one end or the other.

Where a pump would help is shown on a modern car with vacuum assistance - but this simply helps 'push' and doesn't act directly on the fluid.

Given all that it may be that the splined connection you see may be connected to an operating shaft somewhere and not connected to a rapidly spinning part.

Of course you ultimately have the answer by stripping down the unit to see how it is constructed. The MKII marking is interesting, possibly an attempt to cure the issues with the type used on the Stirling?
Last edited by jamesinnewcastle on Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

More Data
Attachments
exactor text 2.jpg
exactor text 2.jpg (110.13 KiB) Viewed 5591 times
exactor text 1.jpg
exactor text 1.jpg (145.29 KiB) Viewed 5591 times
exactor r and t3.jpg
exactor r and t3.jpg (80.42 KiB) Viewed 5591 times
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Kev

Pondering even further - the spline link and it's flange are probably not a standard fitment so it is possible that what you have is an Exactor Unit plus a third party adapter flange.

James
spark plug
Corporal
Corporal

Post by spark plug »

James That is superb work thank you , may I have your email via PM so I can send you some better pictures from other angles?
spark plug
Corporal
Corporal

Post by spark plug »

Here it is, Prop pitch unit on the top front of this Hercules XI ? I think
Attachments
hercules.jpg
hercules.jpg (15.91 KiB) Viewed 5559 times