Anzac Day 2015 - Australia & New Zealand

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Anzac Day 2015 - Australia & New Zealand

Post by K4KittyCrew »

kookabat wrote:Coming!

I'm at work at the moment but earlier today I put a post together with a few photos from Anzac Day in Sydney on my blog. Have a look here: http://www.somethingverybig.com

Biggest Anzac Day in terms of crowd numbers in a while I reckon, and the 463-467 Squadrons Association actually had more veterans marching this year than in 2014.

Adam
Great work, Adam ................. many thanks for sharing the photos.
Regards,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

Max, are you going to work your way through the full list - Tigermoth, Anson, ................, Lancaster. You'll have to skip the usual transition through Wimpy and Hallibag or Stirling but I'm sure you can become licensed for the rest, in time.
Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Well right now I'm finding the Tiger Moth enough of a handful Kerry, even taxying her requires a lot of concentration especially since she's got a tail skid instead of a wheel, tail skids don't like tarmac, it's like driving on ice! So once I've achieved some degree of competency on the Moth, I'll retire gracefully. :)
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by kookabat »

Does your version have brakes or are you doing it old style, and, most important of all, have you been taught to hand-swing the prop?? :lol:
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Brakes!!!?? What are those then? I'm in charge of the mag. switches, I let the erks swing the prop for me!
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by kookabat »

Tsk, tsk, Max. Then I won't be able to award you one of these stamps:

One of the reasons (apart from, 'because I could'!) that I did some hours in the Tiger Moth was to experience 'something' of what life might have been like for my great uncle. That stamp is from his logbook, when he was at an AFU shortly after arrival in the UK. It goes a long way towards explaining where my aviation interest comes from. I'll never fly a Lancaster, but the Tiger was very accessible.

And part of the experience of flying a Tiger Moth is to puff and pant as you pull the prop through, trying to get it started on a cold Camden morning! Hence, I made sure I got some instruction in the art of propeller swinging. Gives you a good understanding of how hard the 'erks' worked!!

I'll admit the aircraft I flew had brakes though (and a radio, powered from a battery that had to be plugged in to a trickle charger overnight!!). The mod-cons!!

Adam
www.somethingverybig.com
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Exactly the same reason for me Adam, I wanted to know at first hand what Dad, Max and thousands of others went through in their ambitions to be pilots, including those who were scrubbed. Although I've done a fair bit of small aircraft flying, I didn't appreciate the complexity of keeping a Tiger Moth "straight and level" even, factoring in rudder, ailerons, trim, balance and attitude, power/speed/revs, direction, altitude, glancing port and starboard to keep things level using your cross wires datums, down at the instruments watching for side slip etc not to mention the effects of weather....it was very bumpy last week! The analogy of learning to drive a car starts to describe it but is nowhere near adequate. We do have a radio intercom thank goodness, not a Gosport tube, but in every other respect the aircraft are in WW2 condition. Great fun though.....climbs and descents next Wednesday!
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by kookabat »

Yep, just like learning to fly all over again. When I was flying the Tiger I had just under 200 hours total time in various little aeroplanes, including 50 hours tailwheel time. Consequently it took some time to beat the modern 'spam can' habits out of me. I remember Jim (my highly seasoned instructor) saying that it's easy to fly a Tiger Moth... but hard to fly it well.

My favourite bit? Pulling the throttle back as you turn base in the circuit... and regulating your airspeed, as you sideslip down final, by the pitch of the wind through the wires!!
Last edited by kookabat on Tue May 12, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.somethingverybig.com
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

Will you two cut out this description of flying a moth. You're making me jealous. I want to do it.

My fantasy is to have and fly a Nieuport 17 replica. They come in kit form for about $40000 (8 years ago) and have a proper rotary engine.
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Just do it Kerry, life's too short! I'm sure Shell won't mind you splurging the retirement funds! As a friend said to me, life's about experiences, not stuff!
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk