Tiger Moth pilot under training

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Tiger Moth pilot under training

Post by ME453 »

A couple of clips from my recent training on the Tiger Moths, Adam will remember these well no doubt:

https://youtu.be/BMVxDul_kX4

Along with each exercise there's a drill or patter to be learned - when flying and especially turning the drill is "Look out" to establish that all is clear around you, starting with the side that you're turning on, then forwards, then to the opposite side. The next step is "attitude" to establish that the aircraft is in balance before commencing the turn - wings level, bit of right rudder to keep the fuselage "straight" rather than crabbing through the air, horizon in the "right place" so not nose up nor down, and finally a quick check of the instruments: altitude, engine revs, oil pressure..... then a bit of stick, gentle rudder and around she goes keeping an eye on the lower wingtip as she turns.....simple till you try it!

https://youtu.be/PlquuIxE5ec

Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: Tiger Moth pilot under training

Post by PAFG »

Woo hoo! Great clips Max - your instructor seems to be shaking his head a bit towards the end of the second one? Presumably caught a fly in his teeth. Looking forward to film of the first solo :D

R
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

PAFG wrote:Woo hoo! Great clips Max - your instructor seems to be shaking his head a bit towards the end of the second one? Presumably caught a fly in his teeth. Looking forward to film of the first solo :D

R
Richard, I'm thinking there may have been some additional wind up there :D ................. but seriously, well done Max.
Very happy to see you achieve your goals. Of course, when you complete your first solo, you can shout us ( yes, we do things a little different on the forum )
By the way, to lush countryside looks beautiful.
Regards,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Ohhh you're a hard lot! No more coffee and cake for you Richard my lad!!! :) Yes John, it's an absolute delight to fly over our beautiful countryside but it also emphasises why lads who were trained over the broad plains of Canada, Australia, Rhodesia etc needed further time at an AFU in the UK to become familiarised with the patchwork of English meadows and narrow country lanes. Stalls and stall recovery next.
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

ME453 wrote:Stalls and stall recovery next.
Max
It'll be a piece of ...

Oh, perhaps it won't after all :(
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

PAFG wrote:
ME453 wrote:Stalls and stall recovery next.
Max
It'll be a piece of ...

Oh, perhaps it won't after all :(
:lol: :lol: :lol:
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by kookabat »

GET THAT STICK BACK!!! :)

No gloves I see? After my first flight in the open cockpit I quickly went out to get myself a pair... did most of my flying in winter. There was a special club you were awarded membership to at my flying school, for those who had flown the Tiger Moth between April and September... the title of the club had something to do with Brass Monkeys.

I see your 'erk' starting the engine in the traditional manner, standing in front. I was actually taught to stand behind the prop, so if it jumps the chocks you fall out of the way of the prop.

y Tiger time remains some of the most memorable flying I ever did. Just magic.
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com