Diversion Raids during the Berlin Campiagn

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Diversion Raids during the Berlin Campiagn

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has researched the success or otherwise of the diversionary operations flown in support of the Berlin campaign 1943/44. Particularly the operations flown by the Stirling's and early mark Halifax, in the mine-laying and secondary target role?

Regards

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: Diversion Raids during the Berlin Campiagn

Post by PAFG »

Hi Steve, I've not looked into this question specifically. However, it might be worth looking at the Signals analyses for each raid (there's a precis in the NRR's). These give details for German running commentary, victory calls, reaction to spoofs etc. There weren't any out and out successes for diversion ops, that's for sure. The best tactic of the period was the splitting of the raid into two forces, two hours apart (Schweinfurt 24/25 Feb 44 was the first use) but only the second wave got the benefit.

Richard
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi Richard,

I was hoping you would reply.

I have been using the NNR and interesting reading to, my interest stems from a 3 Group communique where the group was required to step up its mining effort in the Kiel Bay, Denmark region in support of the main attacks on Berlin. These mine laying efforts became more and more elaborate and involved the help of 35 Squadron PFF.

Thanks for you reply mate.

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

No probs Steve, hope you're well. if you let me know particular dates I'll look out the BC Signals analyses.

Richard