Tallboy Bomb

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
W4783
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Tallboy Bomb

Post by W4783 »

Hi all. When the Tallboy bomb was carried by Lancasters what were the bomb doors like(apart from being buldged) . I had heard some time ago that the doors operated on springs and that the weight of the bomb going through opened the doors.I would think that if this is true it would have made the aircraft difficult to bomb up on the ground.
Are you aware it is private property? Why you"ll be asking me to bomb Essen next.

British Secretary of State for Air
Sir Kingsley Wood
Sep 1939
matthiesd
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Re: Tallboy Bomb

Post by matthiesd »

Hi W4783, As far as I can ascertain, the bomb doors were opened in the same way as standard bomb doors - two hydraulic struts on both the front and rear bulkheads of the bomb bay. Of course, the B1(Specials) that carried more Tallboys than Grand Slams, dispensed with the bomb doors altogether. Hope this helps.....
W4783

Re: Tallboy Bomb

Post by W4783 »

Yes thanks for that...I should have done more research on the net. You are quit correct...normally operated bomb doors.
Are you aware it is private property? Why you"ll be asking me to bomb Essen next.

British Secretary of State for Air
Sir Kingsley Wood
Sep 1939