A Stirling photo that might be of interest

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Richie
Corporal
Corporal

Re: A Stirling photo that might be of interest

Post by Richie »

Hi Cliff,
Thank you, you are spot on with your observations, it is indeed taken at Harwell. The mystery is finally solved!

I checked further on my uncle Bob's wartime service with the Fleet Air Arm.
He was initially based at Gosport then transferred to HMS Raven the Royal Navy Air Station at Eastleigh.
In the run up to D-Day he was involved with working on Horsa gliders at Christchurch airfield and also possibly working at Hurn.
Then moved up to Harwell to continue his work, I presume in the run up to Operation Market Garden.

I had just found out that 295 Squadron was based at Harwell from March 44 until October 44.
(The details were in the excellent book, Coastal Support & Special Squadrons of the RAF & their Aircraft, by John D.R.Rawlings)

So to summarise, the photos are of:
Short Stirling Mk.IV "Goofy II", EF446, 8E-O, of "B Flight" No 295 Squadron, at RAF Harwell taken between June and October 1944.

(I'm going to investigate a little further to see if I can work out a more accurate date...that is if I can work out the dates when Goofy II flew it's missions...I'm hoping Kew's archives might be able to help here...watch this space)

Thank you again to everyone who helped me solve the mystery about this photo.
Richard
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Fantastic news there, Richard.
Were really happy for you.
Cheers,
John and all the team
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Noble703
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Noble703 »

Good Evening All,

I am very excited to see you have a photo of my granddads aircraft. My granddad was the Flt Engineer on that aircraft and was with the aircraft his whole RAF career. There are very few images of the Short Stirlings of 295 Sqn based at RAF Harwell, and especially with important operations they carried out including Operation Market Garden and the Rhine Crossing. I have his Flight Log Book and can confirm that the aircraft and crew also did many SAS and SOE, many over Norway.

I would be grateful if there are any more pictures of Goofy 2 that you could share them, as this aircraft is very special to me and my family. I never got to meet my granddad, but my dad often showed me his Log Book and silk map, as is the main reason I joined the RAF. I joined the RAF in 2006 and I am currently based at RAF Wittering.

I have also had a model made of 'Goofy 2' which takes pride of place in my living room.

If you would like any further information regarding this aircraft and its mission, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Regards

Will.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Hi Will

Don't know where you are based but you are more than welcome to visit us at the Stirling Aircraft Project

regards

John L
Noble703
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Noble703 »

Hi John

I would love to come down and visit the Stirling project. I am currently based at RAF Wittering, just north of Peterborough. Not too far from St Neots.

Please feel free to contact me on here or via my email nobleair@hotmail.co.uk

Regards

Will.