Looking for information on Stirling Aircraft and Crews

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Susanyoung
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Looking for information on Stirling Aircraft and Crews

Post by Susanyoung »

Hello to All

I hope you can help me.

My father A.H.H. Young was a Flight Engineer 108047. He flew Stirlings I think and had to bale out of his plane , and ended up in Stalag 111 P/O 217.

Does anyone have any further information about him?
I see that a Steve from Canada states that my father is his uncle?? I have never heard of Steve from Canada. I understand he now holds information regarding his service record and record taken at the end of the war. Can I also obtain this information as I am a direct relative.

Many thanks.

My father gave very little information away about this time in his life as many did. I would love to find out more.

Susan
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Looking for information on Stirling Aircraft and Crews

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Susan and welcome to the forum.
Let's see what the members come back with.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PeteT
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by PeteT »

Susan

The information I have suggests that your father was serving with No. 15 Squadron at the time of the loss.

The Bomber Command Loss Card shows Stirling W7514 25th / 26th April 1942 [Rostock]

The crew were: Conran, Bateman, East, Surridge, Lawson, Skinner, Stephen and Young (with Young shown as Navigator / Air Bomber)

I will follow this up and see if I can confirm the details with other sources.

In answer to your question regarding service records, please see the following link which provides details on how to obtain them. https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-se ... s/overview It is worth noting that if you get the next of kin to apply you will get a lot more information.

You should also be able to obtain a copy of his POW Liberation Questionnaire from the National Archives.

UPDATE:

1. See the following thread: viewtopic.php?t=820 (this has links to other sites with photos and details of the loss)
2. Other hits if you search on "Stirling W7514 25th / 26th April 1942"

Regards

Pete
Researching:
CA Butler, flight engineer Lancaster ME334 (KIA over Bonn with 35 PFF on 4th Febuary 1945) http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/
Ground Crew and Aircrew Training WWII
"The History of No 35 Squadron" http://35squadron.wordpress.com/
Susanyoung
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Susanyoung »

Pete

Thank you so much for your quick reply and valuable information.

I will follow up your leads and let you know how I get on.

Best Regards

Susan
whalley
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by whalley »

My late farther in law served in 620 sqadron,demobbed 1946 His name Raymond Russell Wireless op /air gunner