OJ-Q - 8 Dec 1942

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
PowellCV
Corporal
Corporal

OJ-Q - 8 Dec 1942

Post by PowellCV »

Hi All,

I'm still on the quest to find out some information about Thomas Harold Harris, who was an air gunner on OJ-Q when it crashed in Suffolk on 8 Dec 1942. I've visited the National Archive and obtained a copy of the investigation report, albeit just 1 page and found which missions he took part in - mostly in OJ-Q, but other Stirlings also.

I would dearly like to find a photo of Thomas Harold Harris (known as Harold), but had no luck as yet. If anyone is related to other members of the crew and have any group photos which may include Harold, or any newspaper articles from the time, I would be extremely grateful to hear from you.

Many thanks,

Clive Powell
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: OJ-Q - 8 Dec 1942

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Well done Chris.
Glad you could obtain some detail.
I have found some images of actual aircraft over the years but the chances are still low.
I will try my best.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PowellCV
Corporal
Corporal

Post by PowellCV »

Thanks John - much appreciated

Regards

Clive
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Clive,

I've found a couple of OJ's but not Q.
The only OJ-Q found so far is this artwork.
John

http://www.militaryartcompany.com/milit ... rodID=4840
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PowellCV
Corporal
Corporal

Post by PowellCV »

Thanks John,

Yes that's the only one I've seen - as on the cover of the book "Strong By Night". Having seen so many photos of my ancestors in military uniforms, which look like professional photos, I assumed that photos were taken of everyone who entered the armed forces - for ID purposes at least, but I cannot seem to find out for sure. The service record I purchased from the RAF for Thomas Harold Harris was extremely basic - possibly because I am not his direct next of kin.

Kind regards

Clive
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

PowellCV wrote:Thanks John,

Yes that's the only one I've seen - as on the cover of the book "Strong By Night". Having seen so many photos of my ancestors in military uniforms, which look like professional photos, I assumed that photos were taken of everyone who entered the armed forces - for ID purposes at least, but I cannot seem to find out for sure. The service record I purchased from the RAF for Thomas Harold Harris was extremely basic - possibly because I am not his direct next of kin.

Kind regards

Clive
We've had a gentleman, an ex crew member on the forum in the past, our friend Dennis stated that the taking of photos on RAF bases we basically illegal.
Some chaps obviously didn't concern themselves with the rules whilst most others did.