Assistance from Scotland Sought

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
IWALKER
Sergeant
Sergeant

Assistance from Scotland Sought

Post by IWALKER »

Hello,

On August 25, 1941, Stirling N.6020 crashed over Trier, Germany. My grandfather Denis Lloyd was the sole survivor. As part of my project including my recent trip to the crash site in Germany, I have been attempting to make contact with family members of Denis' deceased crew. To date, the only family I have not been able to make contact with after exhaustive efforts is that of Sgt. George Nicolson of Glasgow. If anyone has ties there and would like to assist a yank from New York, I'd be most appreciative. I've taken to the papers to attempt to locate him which was a successful method I utilized for locating other family members in Ireland and England.

Thank you!

Iain Walker
Headstone.jpg
Headstone.jpg (145.06 KiB) Viewed 19228 times
Inscription.jpg
Inscription.jpg (80.63 KiB) Viewed 19228 times
George Nicolson.jpg
George Nicolson.jpg (234.15 KiB) Viewed 19228 times
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Assistance from Scotland Sought

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

In your other publication (viewtopic.php?f=6&p=15173#p15173), I asked you if we could publish your story in the magazine of the Stirling Aircraft Society. We could also publish you assistance from Scotland Sought.
Many thanks in advance.
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
IWALKER
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by IWALKER »

Excellent, thank you Bruno!

Iain
IWALKER
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by IWALKER »

Attached is a similar article we had published which led to making contact with the family of Sgt. Edgar Frederick Drew of 7 Squadron and Stirling N.6020. I had almost given up hope until I found a 1911 census record which led to this publication in his hometown in England. It has been wonderful discussing the project with Edgar's family.

Newspaper Article E. Drew.jpg
Newspaper Article E. Drew.jpg (99.53 KiB) Viewed 19221 times
Edgar Frederick Drew image 3.jpg
Edgar Frederick Drew image 3.jpg (64.47 KiB) Viewed 19221 times
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello Ian,

Many thanks!
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
Theletterwriter
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Theletterwriter »

Iain

I had a few credits for the Scotlands People site which lists statutory records in Scotland so I have had a look to see if I could find anything re Sgt. George Nicolson.

One of the problems with the name Nicolson is it is frequently interchangeable (particularly in the older records) with Nicholson. His mother’s name, as you know, was Charlotte which was not as common a first name as some in Scotland in the early part of the 20th. Century.

There is a death record for a Charlotte Nicolson who died on 9 July 1950 at her home of 45 Eaglesham Street, Tradeston, Glasgow aged 82 years old. Her husband George is recorded as a rivetter. This is likely to be a ship rivetter as Eaglesham Street (which still exists) was close to the Clyde shipyards. Her parents were John Stalker and his wife, Jessie.

Move forward to 1st. January 1956 and George Nicolson aged 90 years has died. His residence was 47 Eaglesham Street, Tradeston, his occupation was a rivetter and he was the widow of Charlotte Stalker Nicolson. The death certificate was signed by his son Thomas of 15 Kirkwood Street, Glasgow. Kirkwood Street is in the burgh of Rutherglen, Glasgow.

Moving back to the 1911 Census, a George Nicholson and his wife Charlotte are living in Greenfield Street, Govan Fairfield, with their children Eva (8), Thomas (7), Jessie (5) and Lily (2). George, Charlotte, Eva and Thomas were born in Aberdeen and the two youngest in Govan. Modern day Govan has been swallowed up by the city of Glasgow and is adjacent to Tradeston.

George Nicolson Junior’s birth took a little bit of finding but I eventually found a record for the birth of George Nicolson on 8 July 1914 to George Nicolson (rivetter) and Charlotte Nicolson m.s. Stalker in Aberdeen. His mother, Charlotte Nicolson, signed the birth certificate. As an additional bit of information, the birth certificate shows George and Charlotte had married on 19 August 1898 in the St. Nicholas area of Aberdeen.

George Junior’s birth date would have made him 27 at the time of his death.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Douglas
IWALKER
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by IWALKER »

Douglas,

Thank you so much for this kind assistance. In regard to other families I was able to make contact with (for other crew members), it was always nieces and nephews, so you have given me some great leads, not only names but some addresses to continue my search.

Thank you again, your assistance is appreciated!

Iain Walker
Theletterwriter

Post by Theletterwriter »

No problem Iain, happy to help.

Regards

Douglas