F/O Ian Ross RAAF 617 Sqn

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Merlin
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

F/O Ian Ross RAAF 617 Sqn

Post by Merlin »

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone might have a photo of Ian Ross and crew. Photos of Ian appear to be extremely rare ?

Regards

Merlin
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: F/O Ian Ross RAAF 617 Sqn

Post by gate1 »

There are photos of both Ian and crew, and a studio shot of Ian on his own, that have been used in several books, including my own, 'No. 617 Dambusters Squadron'.

Alex
Merlin
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Merlin »

Hi Alex

many thanks for that. I do have your excellent book but couldn't remember where I had seen a photo of Ian. Don't worry it's an age thing !

Regards

Merlin
Snowy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Snowy »

Hello Merlin,

I am very late in responding to this topic but have just come across the forum and joined. This is my first post here so hello everyone.

Are you still after photos and details about Ian? My mother was engaged to Ian and I have a number of photos, amongst other things. I will be in England in June this year and intend to go to the Bomber Command Memorial unveiling in Green Park.

Regards

Snowy
Merlin
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Merlin »

Hi Snowy

welcome to this forum. I have to firstly apologise for my own absence for a while which is due to a house-move!

I would be very interested to see any photos you have of Ian Ross and his crew if that is possible.

Regards

Merlin
Snowy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Snowy »

Hello Merlin

Thank you for the welcome. I will send you a PM or email.

Cheers
Snowy
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello Merlin and Snowy,

As a fellow Aussie, i would love to see some photos here on the forum if that is not asking too much. I can put them thru 'photobucket' if you wish.
Either let me know here or send me a PM
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Snowy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Snowy »

Hello John, I have sent you a PM. Cheers Snowy
Snowy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Snowy »

Here are some of the photos of F/O Ian Ross that I have.

Flying Officer Ian Stewart Ross Service Number A18839 RAAF

This photo, taken by Renfield Studios, was sent to his sweetheart while on overseas service with either 57 or 617 Squadron RAF, during 1944. On the reverse is a private note to her.

After completing flying training Ian Ross joined 57 Squadron RAF in January 1944 and flew 14 operations before transferring to 617 Squadron in April 1944. Ian Ross completed 39 operations in all, far more than was required. These operations included Tactical Support for the 2nd Front on the night of the 5th June, attacks on the Saumur Tunnel, the Watten Rocket site and the Tirpitz. On his 40th op Ian Ross and his crew were posted 'Missing' on the operation to destroy the U Boat pens at Bergen, Norway on the 12th January 1945. Ian had succeeded in ditching his Lancaster in the North Sea after being attacked by enemy fighter aircraft, probably FW190's. Flight Lieutenant Freddie Watts DFC radioed their position to air-sea rescue. Ian and his crew were observed climbing out of the aircraft. Freddie circled Ian's downed aircraft for as long as fuel reserves allowed before returning to base.

Please note: I was priviledged to meet with Freddie Watts and was told the above facts by Freddie. Other details are from Ian's Log Book.

This photo, dated 1942, was most likely taken in Canada during flying training with the Empire Air Training Scheme.

This photo was most likely taken in Melbourne soon after Ian's enlistment in the RAAF.

Ian Ross, Ray Elwood, Alec McKellar, Edward Tilby, Terry O'Brien, "Tuck" Fryer, the crew of 'C' Charlie on return from the operation on which the Tirpitz was sunk.

There is no writing on the back of this picture but it is likely to be Ian's first crew while with 57 Squadron, January 10, 1944:
F/Sgt Ian Ross, pilot
F/O T. O'Brien, Navigator
Sgt W. Walter, Engineer
Sgt K. Jenkinson, Wireless Operator
F/Sgt W. Tilby, Bombardier
Sgt T King, Mid Upper Gunner
Sgt A McKellar Rear Gunner
I would welcome any corrections to the above if any are required.

Poignantly, the last entry in Ian's log is written by S/Ldr Iveson, the OC A Flight. The entry lists the Bergen operation details and the word 'MISSING".
Merlin
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Merlin »

Hi Snowy

A brilliant set of photographs, thanks so much for posting these.

In the second photo, note the white flash in Ian's side cap. This was worn by aircrew under training.

My father was a Signals Instructor with 617 and would have known Ian almost as well as he knew Mowbray Ellwood, who was Ian's Signaler. Interesting to note from your photo that Mowbray was shortened to 'RAY'. My father did a number of Ops with Freddie Watts and was certainly responsible for getting the message through to call up a Warwick ASR A/C in their attempt to save Ian and his crew, on the 12/01/1945, Bergen Operation. So sad that this crew were all lost.

This loss certainly had a profound effect on both Freddie and my father.

I shall look forward to meeting you at Green Park in June this year.

sincerely

Merlin