7 Squadron - LEJ Davenport

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Davenport7
Warrant Officer 1st Class

7 Squadron - LEJ Davenport

Post by Davenport7 »

All,

I have done alot of research on my Grandad Leslie Ernest John Davenport. He volunteered for the RAF and was posted with 7 Squadron WW2. At the start of the war he was in training and flew in Wellington's then he was with 7 squadron at Oakington in Cambridge.
I am aware that he flew 13 missions before he was shot down on Sept 7th 1941 over Recklinghausen Germany, after a bombing raid to Berlin.
He flew with some men I will list below:

This was his regular crew:

F/O D.T Witt
Sgt. Boulton
P/O D.K Deyell
Sgt. Burrows
P/O Mills
Sgt Prentice

This is the crew he was shot down with: 7th September 1941. All were POWs.

F/sgt A Yardley
F/O C.M Hall
Sgt. J.H Boulton
Sgt J. Sutton
Sgt A. Speakman
Sgt D. Owens

I have been to the records office at Kew and found all about the raids he was on I know he was based at Bourn and Oakington with 7 Squadron saw active service with his 13 missions that I am aware off between february 1941 - September 1941. I am aware of the camps he was in.

I am interested whether anyone has photo's of squadron 7 (Aircrew and planes) or knows if any of the above airmen are still alive and how I could trace them?

I am aware that Dennis Witt went on to fly over 100 sorties and be awarded the DFC, DFM. Is he still alive??

My grandad was a navigator and front gunner. He went on raids such as Cologne, Berlin, Dusseldorf, Bethune (France), La Pallice (France), Borkum Seaplane base, hannover, Keil, Duisburg, Huls.

I am aware of the many books which some are in my posession but I would love to know whether any of these veterans are still about.

Look forward to any info that comes up.

Ian Davenport
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: 7 Squadron - LEJ Davenport

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Ian,

I've sent off an 'post' to our good friends at the http://www.lancaster-archive.com/forum/ and will be sending one off to http://www.bombercrew.com/ a Canadian site.

Will follow up as details come to hand.
Regards,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Davenport7

Post by Davenport7 »

Many thanks for your efforts,

Hope it comes up with some results.

He was always with Squadron 7 from training to september 1941 where he was a POW for a further 3 and a half years, till he escaped early 1945 and met the American advance into Germany.

Cheers Ian
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

You surely already know this but did you try to contact the 7 Squadron Association?
The 7 Squadron's Association website link is http://www.7squadronassociation.org
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org