Nachtjagd war diaries by Theo Bointon vol.1

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Davenport7
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Nachtjagd war diaries by Theo Bointon vol.1

Post by Davenport7 »

All,

Has anyone got a copy of Nachtjagd War Diaries by Theo Bointon vol. 1, it gives a day by day account of British Bombers shot down by German nightfighters.

I am Particularily interested in my grandad's Stirling Bomber that was believed to be shot down by a nigtfighter over Recklinghausen Germany, after a raid on Berlin on the 7th/8th (early hours) September 1941.

The Short Stirling was N6046: MG-Y crew were:

A Yardley
C Hall
J Boulton
J Sutton
A Speakman
D Owens
And my Grandad LEJ Davenport

Would someone who has the book look to see if this Stirling was reported as being shot down and what was the plane, pilot and squadron that brought this bomber down.

Also if anyone else knows where to check other than this book I will be interested, just want to find out what luftwaffe pilot or unit brought my grandads plane down or claimed a kill all the people above became POWS.

My grandads plane was part of a 197 plane bombing mission to Berlin, bombing three aiming points.

Ian
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Nachtjagd war diaries by Theo Bointon vol.1

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Ian,

Dom (Skintman) who happens to be a moderator on both this forum and the lancaster-archive forum, has a copy, along with 'Max' (ME453) from the same site, have copies of these diaries. I plan on aquiring them very soon.

Sorry I couldn't offer any more detail at this point of time.
Regards,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
M Simpson
Corporal
Corporal

Post by M Simpson »

Hi Ian,
A quick study of three sources available to me concerning Luftwaffe nightfighter claims (Tony Wood's online claims list,Foreman,Parry and Matthews' ''Luftwaffe Night Fighter Combat Claims 1939-1945' and Theo Boiten's 'Nachtjagd War Diaries Volume 1')appears to reveal no claims that could be linked to the loss of N6046.However,I do have a note,(I don't know where from) that the loss of this aircraft was due to flak,and a cross check with the online Additions and Ammendments to W.R.Chorley's Bomber Command Losses hosted at http://www.rafinfo.org.uk show that this is now how N6046 is thought to have been lost.
Hope this is of help,
Regards,Mark.
Davenport7

Post by Davenport7 »

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for this it seems as if they were brought down by flak. I managed to obtain my grandads wartime POW log from my uncle and someone has explained the night in question. It seems they were attacked by nightfighters on the way home but took heavy flak, my grandad always said he shot out a search light and in the account it says they swooped low machine gunning gun emplacements and searchlights.

It also said that the starboard outer engine blew caught fire exploded and stopped, this weakended the wing structure and they had to bail out.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Ian