Shrapnel Heights 9 September 1944

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Mary
Stirling Aircraft Society Treasurer & Membership
Stirling Aircraft Society Treasurer & Membership

Shrapnel Heights 9 September 1944

Post by Mary »

Any information on an aircraft - possibly Stirling - shot down by an American anti-aircarft battery on 9 september 1944 at Shrapnel Heights near Folkestone please?
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Shrapnel Heights 9 September 1944

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Mary,

Many thanks for your 'post'.

I've had a quick look for Stirlings and other aircraft, lost on that date but I'm unable to offer any details, so far.

Is there any further information that you can offer? Like, a crew members name ? Squadron number maybe?
I await your reply.
Regards,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shrapnel Heights 9 September 1944

Post by Bruno »

Hi Mary,

Like John I didn't find any RAF bomber lost near Folkestone on 9 September 1944. The only Stirling lost this night was LK200 of 138 Squadron which crashed landed on a beach in Holland after having collided with a balloon cable.
Could it be an american aircraft? Thanks to the Missing Air Crew Reports (MACR) I can provide you the list of the american aircraft lost on 9 September 1944. It could be an other way to search.
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org