Wanted info on the loss of Stirling EF252 at Shepherds Grove

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
John B
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Wanted info on the loss of Stirling EF252 at Shepherds Grove

Post by John B »

G'day, I'm looking for any information on the loss of Stirling EF 252, at Shepherds Grove, 26/7/1944. The unit was 1657 HCU, and I know the aircraft crashed into the watch office, on take off. My wife's grandfather, Patrick Capon, was the rear gunner on this flight and survived the crash. We think he tried to rescue other members of the crew. Patrick Capon was awarded the DFM, but I can't find the citation. Could it have been from his efforts in this crash?.
Any information is much appreciated.

Cheers n Beers John
Bob Wilton
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Wanted info on the loss of Stirling EF252 at Shepherds G

Post by Bob Wilton »

John B wrote:G'day, I'm looking for any information on the loss of Stirling EF 252, at Shepherds Grove, 26/7/1944. The unit was 1657 HCU, and I know the aircraft crashed into the watch office, on take off. My wife's grandfather, Patrick Capon, was the rear gunner on this flight and survived the crash. We think he tried to rescue other members of the crew. Patrick Capon was awarded the DFM, but I can't find the citation. Could it have been from his efforts in this crash?.
Any information is much appreciated.

Cheers n Beers John
Hello John, And welcome to the Stirling Aircraft Society, and you have come to the right place for good information.If you take a look at the National Archives of Australia you will find the digital record of the pilot of Stirling EF252. He was Flight Sergeant Kenneth Arthur Palmer RAAF.

Google the National Archive and type 420995 into the search box,then press enter and you will find his record. Open it and you will find the full report of the crash on page 33. I hope this is of help to you.

Regards

Bob

A705 166/32/448 PALMER, Kenneth Arthur Malcolm - (Flight Sergeant); Service Number - 420995; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Stirling III EF 252; Place - Shepherds Grove Airfield, United Kingdom; Date - 26 July 1944
Access status: Open Location: Canberra 1929 - 1960
Dicam ex animo. Sed nostri evocatis, ut debemus eis libertatem.
John B
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by John B »

Thanks Bob, will check that out.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello John B,

These details come from ............
John

K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Merlin
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Merlin »

Hi John

I was interested to note your remarks about the RAF Hospital at Ely in Cambridgeshire. Does anyone know if this is still there ? My father received treatment at Ely, (following a crash), in the burns unit. This was shortly after the war.
Regards

Merlin
John B
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by John B »

Thanks chaps,

I got the details from the National Archives, this is an extract from the court of inquiry, and very detailed. We assume that Patrick Capon won his DFM from this accident, is there any record available that would site the citation for this?.

Cheers n Beers John
MichaelH
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by MichaelH »

Dear Sirs,
I have just started to research the loss of EF252 at Shepherds Grove in 1944, on behalf of my uncle. His older brother was W/OP Sgt Samuel Thomas Collis who died as a result of that accident. He was very badly burnt and taken to Ely Hospital but died soon afterwards. His remains were buried in Derby at the wishes of his parents.
According to my uncle who would have been about 14 at the time, the 2 surviving members of the crew visited the parents of Sgt Collis after the accident. He recollects them saying that they were thrown from the aircraft on impact.
I have obtained some information including the IWM photo from the airfields research group.
I have access to some paperwork about Sgt Collis including a portrait photo, telegrams from the time of the accident and a log book, though this does not relate to Stirlings.
I am trying to obtain any photos of the crew or individual members as well as the Squadron codes that EF252 would have carried.
I believe that these codes could have been AK or XT. The call sign for the aircraft on that day was "C" presumably C -Charlie. Would this have meant that the aircraft may have been coded either AK-C or XT-C ?
I would be very grateful if any one out there is able to help in any way.
Thank you

Michael Hickling
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Michael and welcome to trhe forum.

Short Stirling EF252 details are as listed ............ from the Stirling Story by MJF Bowyer

23 Maintenance Unit 25th November 1943, 623 Squadron 7th January 1944, 1657 Conversion Unit 9th February 1944, EFA ( write off as a result of flying accident during non operational flying ) 26th July 1944 Sheppards Grove, starboard outer failed, swung into watch office on take off.

I'll have a look for any photos and will post them if found.
Cheers,
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

This is the only photo I can find ................ I'm pretty sure I've posted this image before on the forum.
The IWM Photo Catalogue number is - HU 93005
Cheers,
John