Fell out of a Stirling & Survived - An Amazing Story

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Fell out of a Stirling & Survived - An Amazing Story

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share a REAL story, told to me, about a remarkable ex-crew member, whom I've had the pleasure of knowing over the past couple of years. These details come from the http://www.lancaster-archive.com/forum/ for which I was able to introduce Dennis to. I hope to bring him over to this forum when time allows him.

John
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi to all,

Not long ago, I mentioned about speaking with a ex crew member who flew in Lancasters and Stirlings.

When speaking about training accidents from HCU's, I mentioned that this gentleman had said that to help start the aircraft off on the right track, the rear gunner would swing his turret around and sight the tail wheel and send the 'ok' through to the skipper.

I completely misunderstood and misquoted the person that I was speaking with. Sorry for the balls-up. Rear tail wheel problems for the Lancasters weren't an issue, so I'm now told . For the Stirlings, they were an apparent fact of life.

I am told this from a gent by the name of Dennis Over from England. I have had the pleasure of knowing Dennis for the past year or so and have shared a few stories together.

Dennis flew two tours as a rear gunner, one with 106 Squadron and the other with 227 Squadron and has stated to me that I can quote him on the below details.

I would like to share with you all, some very special comments from Dennis that he recently emailed me................

Regarding "Violent Swings on Take Off" - Stirlings. Having twin manually retractable tail wheels. The wheels had tyres with special ridges to try and cure the problem of the wheels aligning, they were free castoring.

It was discovered that unless the wheels were aligned very straight at the start of the take-off, they would begin to oscilate getting more severe as speed increased, often causing the aircraft to swing off course at critical points. The cure was very effective. When the aircraft turned onto the runway, it first stopped, at which stage the rear gunner swung the turret to port, slid open the twin doors & with feet secured under the turret structure, leant right out and slightly down giving full view of the wheels, thus advising the skipper that "wheels in view". The Pilot then began slow forward movement gradually increasing speed & when the gunner called "wheels straight", take-off commenced. The gunner then had to promptly get back in and close his doors.

On one occasion, I made a fool of myself because at 1654 HCU, all spare land area was put under cultivation with the 'Land Army Girls'. A group of girls were standing alongside watching aircraft curcuits & bumps. I turned and waved etc. to them, leaning slightly back & promptly fell out, helped by the slipstream, leaving one boot behind. I was neither the first or the last to fall out. It was only a short drop. Control tower told my pilot after take-off but the mid upper gunner had already spotted me. They were instructed to carry on their training exercise.

Dennis says that he can only confirm that this instruction detail applied to trainee crews at 1654 HCU. He also confirmed that the Lancaster did not experience such problems being a one only tail wheel with a better oleo leg.

....................... We all read books and alike but details of such incidents like this from those who experienced it I find very special.
Regards,
John

Hi.
My name is Dennis Over, I have just been introduced for the first time to this site by John Pollard, the writer of the tail wheel situation. for which I thank him. I was the tail gunner involved.
Our second tour pilot Sqdrn.Ldr. Johnny Meagher was an instructor at 1654 HCU. between tours. Another friend Colin Watt from Adelaide also instructed there at the same time 1943-4..
The Stirling had some virtues & many vices. For example the RAF wanted certain modifications to increase performance but as production was too far advanced one compromise was to increase the length of the main undercarriage legs for a better take off performance. The planned wingspan of the a/c. being too wide for the standard RAF hangars, the wings were clipped thus giving a reduced service ceiling.

I am pleased to say that Colin & Johnny are still around, we remain close friends. Colin visits each year from Australia. We had our annual get-together just 3 weeks ago.
So much is going to pass unrecorded, the quality & quantity of historic information that those two keep on unfolding when we get our heads together is quite remarkable.
For example the a/c. that Gibson used on the Dams raid became tour expired & remained at Metheringham. Johnny Meagher became an instructor pilot there. This was the a/c. that he mainly used for checking out new pilots to the squadron & many other "Hack" duties. The Air Historic Branch requested & were given permission by Johnny to photostat his log books.
After his instruction period Colin was recalled to Australia VIA the USA where he converted to Liberators & joined an Australian squadron in the Far East campaign.
Coiln flew with an Australian Airline until his retirement. He was chosen to demonstrate & take the replica "Southern Cross" trimotor on it's tour of Australia & New Zealand. We have only just gleaned this info. from him.

Regards,
Dennis Over

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Oggie2620
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Re: Fell out of a Stirling & Survived - An Amazing Story

Post by Oggie2620 »

Have put a link on CFWW2s site and thats started a discussion on there!
Dee
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Dee, could you please pass on the link, thanks.

Also, Dennis told me a story of another BC member who, I kid you not, when his Lancaster exploded, he fell out of the Lanc, at approx 20,000 feet ( parachute was burnt from the fire inside the aircraft ) landed on the side of a hill that was cover in snow for which cushioned the fall and basically, without many injuries.

When captured by the Germans, they thought he was a spy because they did not believe he could have fallen
20,000 feet, without a chute and survived.

As you have said, there are many amazing stories from the men from Bomber Command.
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Oggie2620
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Oggie2620 »

Hi Kitty

The guys & gals on Commonwealth Forces of WW2 love stories like the one you posted. The link is www.cfww2.com and they welcome all comers! :D

I love this one though cos I feel attached to Stirlings cos my New Zealander died in one.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Dee,

Glad you liked it. Thanks for the link.
John
Oggie2620
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Oggie2620 »

K for Kitty Crew wrote:Hi Dee, could you please pass on the link, thanks.

John
http://www.cfww2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815
Link as requested
Dee
bgizmo
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by bgizmo »

I believe the incident you mentioned is this one (taken from wikipedia)

Flight Sergeant Nicholas Stephen Alkemade (1923–1987) was a tail gunner for a Royal Air Force Avro Lancaster bomber during World War II who survived a fall of 18,000 feet (5500 m) without a parachute after his plane was shot down over Germany.

On the night of March 24, 1944, 21-year-old Alkemade was a member of No. 115 Squadron RAF and his Lancaster II, "S for Sugar", was flying to the east of Schmallenberg, Germany on its return from a 300-bomber raid on Berlin, when it was attacked by a Luftwaffe Junkers Ju 88 night-fighter, caught fire and began to spiral out of control. Because his parachute was destroyed by the fire, Alkemade opted to jump from the aircraft without one, preferring to die by impact rather than fire. He fell 18,000 feet (5500 m) to the ground below.

His fall was broken by pine trees and a soft snow cover on the ground. He was able to move his arms and legs and suffered only a sprained leg. The Lancaster crashed in flames, killing the pilot — Jack Newman — and three other members of the seven-man crew. They are buried in Hanover War Cemetery.

Alkemade was subsequently captured and interviewed by the Gestapo, who were initially suspicious of his claim to have fallen without a parachute until the wreckage of the aircraft was examined. He was then a celebrated POW before being repatriated in May 1945. (Reportedly, the orderly Germans were so impressed that Alkemade had bailed out without a parachute and lived that they gave him a certificate testifying to the fact.) He worked in the chemical industry after the war and died on June 22, 1987.

Funnily enough 115 Squadron was based at Witchford towards the latter part of the war, which is literally a stones throw from Mepal where 75(NZ) were based. The story and pictures are available to view at the excellent little museum in the industrial estate which now sits on the Witchford airfield.

Simon