The " New Dambusters Film .

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Riskey
Warrant Officer 1st Class

The " New Dambusters Film .

Post by Riskey »

HI To all , Has there been any More news regarding the New film of the Dambusters , I was watching it this morning ,and started to wonder Was it still going ahead , and what was the Sit Rep on it
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: The " New Dambusters Film .

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Riskey, I too have heard very little of late. Hoping some of the members can up date us.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

Evening Gents, my first post for quite some time.

I have been working on the film, but its been on the back burner for some time. Aside from some health problems, Peter Jackson has worked on several other films the last couple of years, and currently is filming 'The Hobbitt'. I doubt there will be any movement on it for at least 18 months.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great to hear from you, Alex and thanks for the update. It is good to hear they have some decent knowledgeable people onboard but not so good to hear that it continues to drag on.
I can't help thinking that this movie seems to have been shunted back whilst other projects have come to fruition, even after this production had started and yet ............ we continue to wait.

Anyway, I've got that off my chest ............ please keep us update, mate.
Cheers,
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

Hiya John, good to be 'back'!

Unfortunately I dont think there will be many updates for a while, which is the bad news. However, Peter is, as we know, a great aircraft enthusiast and I think he is very keen to get every detail right where he can. For example, they contacted me before and had photos of something like 60 of the dambusters, I was able to provide photos of all the others. Similarly, when they first contacted me, they had a full sized (replica) Lancaster sitting in their warehouse, but they didnt have accurate details of the modifications. I was able to provide them, and they finished it off using original plans. That gives an indication as to the lengths they are going to to get things right (although I doubt they will get look alikes for all the men when it comes to choosing actors).

I have several close up photos of their incredible replica Lancaster's, one being an Upkeep spining in the bomb bay. Perhaps good news is that since then, I have unearthed about another 110 AVRO drawings relating to the modifications, which are forming part of my next book. I'm sure once the project is back on, they will make use of it all, and their aircraft will be as close as you can get.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

I know some members will comment on where this 'info' came from but thought I'd mention it anyway. The name is Gibson's dog for the remake, so they say, will be .........
John
The story of the Dambusters is now set to be retold in a new film by Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson – although the dog is to be renamed Digger as the original name is now recognised as an offensive term.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nched.html
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi John,
The only thing that bothers me about the so called ghost of Nigger, is that no-one has noticed that the girl next to him, is not only looking at him, but also has her arm extended out and is patting him?? But she could be phsyic i suppose :lol:
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

This report appeared elsewhere too which stated that no dog was in frame when the shot was taken but mysteriously appeared in the photo once developed, which is a bit fantastic. The photo of the choir is very very well known and numerous ones from different angles have appeared in the local and national press since it was taken. The story of the dog appearing out of no where then disappearing is very old, although it didnt appear 'out of thin air', just didnt seem to belong to anyone.

Maybe he was a bit miffed his name isnt on the memorial too?!

Its a great shame about the Nigger/Digger thing. The dogs name is pretty much irrelevant, but the fact that the name was used as the code for breaching the dam is significant. I think a disclaimer and the use of the correct word would be the best thing. After all, pretty much everyone who is likely to go and see it at the cinema is well versed in the story and the name anyway, and thus highly unlikely to take offence.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

I completely agree with you comments, Alex.
John
Riskey

Post by Riskey »

Hi Alex , Thanks very much for the up-date . good to see you back on board .