Dambusters and BC on TV

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Dambusters and BC on TV

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Here's a heads up for all Uk based forumites there are two programmes on next week that are bomber command related. I think both are new programmes, but i could be wrong. The programme synopsis is from the Radio Times:

BBC2 Tuesday 8/11/11 9.00pm
Dam Busters: The Race to Smash the German Dams
"James Holland presents an analysis of the 1943 air attacks by the RAF, in which 19 Lancaster bombers ventured into the industrial heartland of Germany to destroy three heavily defended dams with the new bouncing bomb. James argues that the raid is the greatest of all time and explores whether its true impact has been underestimated - and if the result should have been even greater."

Channel 5 Thursday 10/11/11 8.00pm
Bomber Boys: Revealed
"Channel 5 continues its Remembrance Day commemoration with the story of the RAF's Second World War Bomber Command crews, whose mission was to destroy Germany's industrial heartland through thousands of nightly raids. Although they played an important part in weakening the enemy war effort, the attacks came at a cost, with 55,000 of the 125,000 airmen killed, and 10,000 taken prisoner - with some sent to Buchenwald concentration camp. Here, survivors reveal how they came close to death while held there."
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: Dambusters and BC on TV

Post by AlanW »

Thanks for that Dave, look forward to watching them
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Dave and Alan, you can probably hear the gnashing of our teeth from we Mexicans down south of the equator.
We can look forward to getting such programs in the very distant future. Did you know we just found out that man landed on the moon!
How we envy you lot!
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi John,
Have DVD players reached you down there yet :lol: if so, i've got no problem with sticking the prorammes onto disc and sending them, providing they'll work. Is there still a difference between the formats in certain areas of the world.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

Unfortunately there is Alan, Europe being 'Region 2', Australia being 'Region 4' although you can find players and discs that are 'Region 0' which are basically universal.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Guys ............ Alan, I have no idea as to what works and what doesn't but I do thank you for your kind offer. Hopefully we will get it locally on the 'History channel' before the turn of the century.
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

I'm really looking forward to the Bomber Boys programme on Thursday (I've just been chatting to Kerry about it on Skype) but my only fear, given the time constraints of an hour long feature, is that it will be superficial and not do real justice to the sacrifices of those boys. Doubtless there will be follow-up comments on the Forum!
Max

PS Just as an aside, this month's (December issue) Aeroplane magazine is a special issue marking the 70th anniversary of the first Lancasters delivered to the RAF, well worth £4.25!
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Many thanks, Max. Good to hear from you, Sir ! Will keep our eyes peeled, Sir ! OK chaps, be on the look out for low flying magazine with 'Aeroplane' markings on it ........ ( oh do behave you lot! )
John
Riskey
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Riskey »

Re-DVD areas . "Queenie " came over about two years ago ?? ,and Jane so kindly gave my Favourite Australian - Les Hiddins= "Bush Tucker man " . I had No trouble at all playing the Dvd series at all . In fact its very often played. So I cant see any problems whats so ever in sending DVDs to Aus or New zealand . I hope this is of help . Question ! What is the way of finding details of a Flight Engineer Eg Age , Location of birth , ect ect . Ive had real trouble in finding details of SGT John J. Eaton RAF - 28th April 44 . Thank-you Gentlemen
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

I'll record them just in case.
As for J.J. Eaton, i see what you mean. I reckon there's a choice of 4 men, all John J Eaton.
Nottingham, born 1916.
Liverpool, born 1916.
Wolstanton, born 1917.
Nottingham, born 1922.
I would say, judging by his photograph, he would fit the one born 1922
It's a shame the parents are not listed on CWGC, would have narrowed it down considerably.