Rank

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Rank

Post by R5868 »

In a fictional book I been reading, the O/R's refer to Flight Lieutenants as French Letters. Is this accurate, and, if so, did the O/R's have their own nicknames for other officer ranks? Another question on ranks, what is the difference between Sergeant and Flight Sergeant? I've been transcribing 150 Squadron ORB's and flight crew are referred to by both ranks.
Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: Rank

Post by AlanW »

Kerry,
I think you'll find that it's just the next one up in order from Sgt. And after F/Sgt came Warrant Officer. I have a nice photo of the crew of PB853, lost on 24th March 45, if you have not already got one. As you know, most of the crew were murdered after baling out of the aircraft.
Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: Rank

Post by gate1 »

Sergeant wore three stripes (from early in the war the lowest rank of aircrew) while Flight Sergeants wore three stripes below a crown. South African Air Force had Air Sergeants and Flight Sergeants (to differenciate them from Army) which had three stripes and an eagle above, and three stripes with an eagle and then crown above respectively.

The RAF had Warrant officer 1st Class and 2nd Class at the start of the war (wearing a coat of Arms and large crown respectively) but soon after the war started abolished them into one warrant Officer rank wearing the coat of arms. The RCAF however retained the 1st and 2nd class.