Stirling R9329 Query and Photos?

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Stirling R9329 Query and Photos?

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Hello,
This is my first post on the forum. I'm researching my late uncle's war time service in the RAF. His name was Lawrence Nicholson and he was the forward gunner on Stirling R9329, coded OJ-V of 149 squadron when it crashed on 21/08/1942 at Gibhill near Cornwood, Devon. The crew were returning from a mine laying mission off the coast of France. I've found reference to the fact that it suffered flak damage and the pilot managed to return to England but in poor weather crashed into high ground near Cornwood. However, there's a story in the family that the aircraft lost it's bearings in poor weather as it approached England and mistakenly flew over Plymouth and the flak was actually friendly fire. Is there any way I could substantiate or repudiate that story? Also, if possible, I'd like to find a photo of the aircraft, if one exists. I've had a look at several books and websites, so far unsuccessfully. Does anyone know if a photo of this aircraft exists?

Hope you're able to help in some way.

Thanks

Dave
Theletterwriter
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Stirling R9329 Query and Photos?

Post by Theletterwriter »

Dave

I have had a look at the book the 149 Squadron history "Strong by Night" ISBN 0 85130 313 7 by John Johnston and Nick Carter which records your uncle's aircraft "was damaged by anti-aircraft fire in the target area while mining off the French coast". The Stirling File by Bruce Gomersall ISBN 0 85130 152 5 records "Crashed at Gibhall Horestry, Cornwood, Devon on return from mining off West coast of France where it was heavily engaged by defences".

Whether the crash site being quite close to Plymouth can be associated with further damage to the aircraft from the Plymouth flak would, I suspect, be difficult to confirm.

Best wishes

Douglas
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Hi Douglas

Many thanks for that. I guess we'll never find out the whole story.

Regards

Dave
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Don't give up just yet Dave ............ I'm still digging. Found quite a number of Stirling photos of OJ- listed aircraft from 149 sqn, from The Stirling Story by Micheal JF Bowyer but not one of OJ-V.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
martynp
Corporal
Corporal

Post by martynp »

In the photos you have found John there wouldnt happen to be one of OJ-C would there that was my Uncles plane

regards

Martyn
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Martyn,

Sorry to say that the only photos of aircraft I could find from 149 SQN, are of ......... OJ-B, OJ-G, OJ-N (2), OJ-O, OJ-R

John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Dave,

I've asked around and I believe you can obtain the 'Accident / Loss Report Cards' from Hendon, UK.

John
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
These comments come from a member of another forum .............. Many thanks Malcolm.

John,

The small card shown in the link is the that which was used to record aircraft and aircrew losses. These seem to have been updated in 1946 based on the information given by returning POWs and the War Graves team. As mentioned above, these cards (or more likely a microfische copy) are available through the RAF Museum at Hendon. I also have a microfische set arranged in date order and although I have a viewer, I have no means of printing them! If you need any information from them, I will gladly provide it, but you would need to give me the date of loss and aircraft identity. The cards contain various pieces of information, but are not consistent. Some show turning points, some show bomb loads, some show special equipment, base take-off time, crew, etc. The fische are now quite old and since I am older than the data, reading them can be a problem! Still, if I can help, drop me a PM and I'll have a go.

Malcolm TM-2
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Hi John

Many thanks for that. I've emailed Hendon with a request for a copy of the card. I'll let you know the response I get

Regards

Dave
Theletterwriter

Post by Theletterwriter »

Dave

Do you have a copy of your uncle's logbook to see if he flew in any other 149 aircraft? Alternatively, contact the National Archives for a copy of the 149 ORB covering the timescale of your uncle's operations with the Squadron or post a request on the forum. I am sure there must be someone who has a copy of the ORB.

Best wishes

Douglas
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Hi Douglas

Unfortunately I don't have the logbook but I have already requested from Kew a copy of the 149 ORB. Just waiting impatiently for it to arrive!
I've also requested a copy of his service record from Cranwell.

Regards

Dave