Welcome Dennis - RAF Two Tour BC Veteran

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Welcome Dennis - RAF Two Tour BC Veteran

Post by K4KittyCrew »

On behalf of all members of the forum, I can think of no better 'posting' to start this section of the forum off with than in welcoming Dennis Over, an RAF two tour Bomber Command veteran, who served as a Rear Gunner, on both Stirlings in Heavy Conversion Units and later, when posted to his first squadron, Lancasters.

It is indeed a pleasure to have you here as a member and we look forward to you conveying your memories and knowledge, as time permits. Welcome Dennis!
Regards,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: Welcome Dennis - RAF Two Tour BC Veteran

Post by ME453 »

I'll second that John, and just to embarrass the old chap, post a photo:

Dennis on the left, his pilot Johnny Meagher centre and Colin Watt, Australian Lancaster pilot right. Not sure who the young good looking guy is standing!

www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi Dennis,

A warm welcome from me also.

Dennis I did not have a chance to thank you for the parking the other saturday, it was again very kind of you. Apart from the defeat at the hands of the South Africans it took almost 5 hours to drive home that night, so all in all it was a bad show. !!

All the very best

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

I've migrated here after an invite and I am also very pleased to see some familiar faces, not least Dennis. I look forward to some more of your posts Dennis and various other chats and information you'll share.

Alex
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

[quote="ME453"]I'll second that John, and just to embarrass the old chap, post a photo:

Dennis on the left, his pilot Johnny Meagher centre and Colin Watt, Australian Lancaster pilot right. Not sure who the young good looking guy is standing!

What particularly like about that photo is that all of the Senior chaps are so smartly dressed - with ties. AS opposed to the "à la scruff" uniform adopted by the younger element.

Yes Dennis, of course it is so nice to know you are here. Maintain standards, and all that what?

Norfolk.
Denonline
BC Veteran
BC Veteran

Post by Denonline »

We believe himto have been an eavesdropper on a 3 Group expenses account for which you will note that we three had to pretend to enjoy our glass of beer, whilst he was suffering gin & tonics.

We later discovered that it really was our Max. In spite of the suggestions from the waitresses he was not, as far as we know the son of one of us ;) ;)

The venue was The Burhill Golf Club, the very large clubhouse being the wartime offices & home of Barnes Walllis. It is packed with memorabilia. The house is quite near to Weybridge, the home of the "Wimpey"

Dennis
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

But note that I was standing and letting my elders and betters sit down! I only noticed that I was the only one not wearing a tie when I posted the pic this morning; I agree, quite disgraceful.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
Denonline
BC Veteran
BC Veteran

Post by Denonline »

Johnny & Colin are the two experienced instructor pilots :!: who between tours, spent 6 months on Stirlings and looked at me google eyed when I mentioned the twin tail wheel problems.

In fairness they were both there before my time, Johnny moving on to 106 as a tactics instructor where I crewed up with him for his second tour, Colin was posted to the USA converting to Liberators & positioning to the Far East.

During our "hangar doors " session around the table, the matter was discussed . It subsequently took a photo supplied by John to jog Johnny's memory.

There had apparently been an exceptional spate of take off/ landing incidents, so much so that 1654 adopted a system whereby the trainee crew & a/c.were remotely positioned. to practice take off & landing emergencies. Johnny stated that one engine was started, the instructor supervising the emergency procedures being carried out. I wonder if any ex aircrew can recall the procedures.
There had apparently been many complaints from Stirling pilots of increasing oscilation at take off but at that time, they had not pinpointed the real causes.

When Colin pays his next annual visit from Adelaide in the Spring for our next get together I wiil bring the subject up again. Along with Max the Lad hon member, we look forward to initiating Paul Hayter. Pauls Dad Ron Hayter ex Flt/Lt. Wop/AG 617 had been my lifelong friend until he sadly die/.
We have warned Paul that we will try not hurt his wallet too much :twisted:

A couple of years back, I discovered that all WW2. Warrant officers had an entitlement to & should have received an "Illuminated Royal Warrant" well worth getting. Likewise comissioned officers had an entitlement to a similar "Royal Warrant".Neither Johnny & our crew & all other of our contacts had ever heard of these. The RAF. certainly kept it quiet "The tightwads" ;) I made contact with RAF. Records & obtained the Warrants for Johnny, Ron & myself.

Dennis
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

ME453 wrote:But note that I was standing and letting my elders and betters sit down! I only noticed that I was the only one not wearing a tie when I posted the pic this morning; I agree, quite disgraceful.
Then I will make allowances my Son. But offend ye not again.
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

Hello Dennis,

It's nice to know you made it here, and I look forward to hearing more of your adventures in B.C.
It's good to see Max and David (Hallifax) as well.

Thanks to John, also, for managing to extend the topics to cover all of Bomber Command.

Wayne.