Ghost hunt at RAF Scampton

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Ghost hunt at RAF Scampton

Post by Nocturna mors »

A ghost hunt video that features a tour of "Gibbos" old office. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-15521637

Rgds NM
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
chromeboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Ghost hunt at RAF Scampton

Post by chromeboy »

when i was down a few weeks ago Roger was telling me there were apparently 4 RAF spirits haunting the place, plus a roman centurion! nice to see him & Mervyn in the video though :)

Kevin.
Riskey
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Riskey »

Theres even storys of "Ghost " Lancasters taking to the air at Scampton
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

I am not an expert but, :) .........i dare say some iof these stories are the product of airmen trying to scare each other half to death..... :o :o :o :o :o

RAF airmen stationed at places like Scampton, must of known the history associated with it.... and with some imagination and convincing story telling, its not hard to imagine rumours like these spreading through the camp like wild fire. Some of these stories become legends very quickly although they have no basis in fact. They were probably told to the new recruits upon arrival at their barracks among all the other "leg pulling" and forces black humour.
What better wakey wakey" boost than to tell some green recruit who is going on guard duty...that the dispersals at the far side of the aerodrome are haunted by a headless mud stained airman in full flying kit :o :o .....well the poor blighter certainly wouldn,t be getting any sleep. .....in fact by morning he has scared himself so much...he thought he saw or heard something. The next day, the sighting is hot topic on the base getting more detailed as it is relayed.....a legend is born.
Meanwhile the original author of the tale chuckle themselves to sleep at night at the mischief they caused.

I think every airbase i ever read about has a resident ghost but, is it not just a natural human assumption.......... to look upon any derelict place as "haunted"? ..be they medieval castles or airfields?

What a shame Gibsons office has been allowed to get in such a state. It said on the video it had been vacant for half a century?.........heritage crumbling to dust!
Any self respecting ghost wouldn,t be seen dead in a place like that......their probably all down the local in Scampton village ...or the Petwood!

Rgds NM
Last edited by Nocturna mors on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

NM said .....
What a shame Gibsons office has been allowed to get in such a state. It said on the video it had been vacant for half a century?.........heritage crumbling to dust!
Any self respecting ghost wouldn,t be seen dead in a place like that......their probably all down the local in Scampton village ...or the Petwood!
Ahhhhhhhhh my good fellow, would it be fair to say that any self respecting ghost would have his affairs ( office ) in order before whisking down to the local? That way, all the effort expired in keeping ones house in order, could then account for any consumption of the 'wonder juice' would hence be classed as being, purely for medicinal purposes. ( that's my standard quotation on such matters )

ACM I.M.A. Soak
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Riskey

Post by Riskey »

The strangest story of a Ghost is that of the time when the Memorial to 617 SQN was built and the choir were due to have their photo taken ,but due to the bad weather they couldnt . Then a warm day came and a black Labrador appeared out of no-where ,and it would budge from the Group photo ,photo taken Dog Cleared off Never seen again . This all happened at Wood hall spa .
Denonline
BC Veteran
BC Veteran

Post by Denonline »

NM, Lineshoots were as popular as the famous "Golden Rivet". :) :)

Dennis
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

Riskey wrote:The strangest story of a Ghost is that of the time when the Memorial to 617 SQN was built and the choir were due to have their photo taken ,but due to the bad weather they couldnt . Then a warm day came and a black Labrador appeared out of no-where ,and it would budge from the Group photo ,photo taken Dog Cleared off Never seen again . This all happened at Wood hall spa .
Hi Riskey,
Here is the pic of the mystery dog
Source http://www.67notout.com/2011/11/dambusters-dog-whose-ghost-haunts-raf.html
Source http://www.67notout.com/2011/11/dambusters-dog-whose-ghost-haunts-raf.html
Guy-Gibsons-dog.jpg (36.16 KiB) Viewed 7800 times
......i do not think its a picture of an apparition as one of the choir members appears to be stroking it?

You may find this link of some interest http://www.67notout.com/2011/11/dambust ... s-raf.html
Tom
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

6741961687_28f6c319f0_o.jpg
6741961687_28f6c319f0_o.jpg (83.95 KiB) Viewed 7624 times
Source Shropshire Star
Source Shropshire Star
6741960405_3d79da8775_o.jpg (100.77 KiB) Viewed 7624 times
...no idea what, if anything this image contains?

Tom
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

I had to look hard to see it, but i think he's referring to something in the middle lower section, to the left of the white dot. If it's a face, then he's got no body, or he's lying on his belly :lol:
Probably the reflection of someone standing next to the photographer, as it seems the flash has reflected back and caused "red eye" Even if i believed in ghosts, which i don't, i doubt if they would get red-eye.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.