Vac(uum) Form(ed) Models

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Vac(uum) Form(ed) Models

Post by halifax1 »

There and been talk of "vac form" models under the "Why Build Models" topic, and as some here may not be familiar with this type of "kit' with the permission of Sgt Max will try and give a brief illustration of what is what.

A Vac Formed kit is substantially different from the "polystyrene" or "resin" type. Those marketed by Companies like Airfix and Tamiya etc. are really complete save for "glue" and paint enabling one to build a pretty good model without any further purchase or accessories.

The vac form kit is, in comparison, pretty crude and basic. It entails the purchase of additional items such as plasticard in varying thicknesses from which the "details" can be fashioned. Although "mouldings" of wheels might be supplied, sometimes these are rather artisan and lacking detail. It does depend upon the "quality" of the kit. And there are few manufactures now - the best in my opinion were manufactured by a small company in Japan, but they are no longer doing so. Sanger is probably the most well known in the UK. But all are rather the "cottage industry" type.

That said there have been many good models produced from very basic V/F kits. I would suggest that they are not for the "beginner" - one could easily become discouraged - bin the effort and avoid modelling for all time.

I have built one or two V/F kits - one was a "modern" jet (Gloster Javelin) which having no connection with our Forum, the picture will not be posted here.

However I do have the "kit" of the Sanger Halifax at 1:48 scale and can post some pictures. I think this is one of Sanger's better kits - some are not so good. Sometimes you get some parts cast in "white metal" which is a rather soft metal material and is easily mis-shapen and although it can be straightened easily it will bend again! So not awfully good for anything that is in a vulnerable position - or even under any load!The casting is sometimes a bit agricultural too!

I have only made a little inroad into the Halifax kit, but I hope that the following will give an idea as to whether or not V/F is for you, at the moment. I would say that if you have had little or no experience in building small plastic models get some time in with the more conventional user friendly kit.

The first picture shows what you get - a sheet of plasticard with the parts all moulded. Note the panel lines etc. These are too pronounced to look right and need to be dealt with! Then the "wheels" in halves that need joining - and the flying surfaces - the ailerons and elevators are in one peice and to look any good will need separating and a substantial bit of work\

Note too there is no interior detail - at all. This has to be made from "scratch" entailing quite a bit of research.

The second picture shows my progress so far (and I have to admit to being far from committed on this project or any other modelling project at the moment).

The second picture shows some of the initial interior detailing on the interior - the formers or frames and stringers. You can see towards the right of the picture the "smooth" area of the interior which is what you start with. I am not enhancing this as it will not be seen.

Picture 3 shows a bit more progress - the two fuselage halves and the initial work on the pilots compartment, and behind the F/E station. The nav. and Wop were on the lower floor forward. You can also se the "main spar" which will in fact he an integral part of holding on the models wings!

Finally the instrument panel - partially completed - again completely rom scratch. Scratch being the operative word - the dials are scratched onto black painted white plasticard and then given a couple of coats of clear varnish to simulate glass.

Clearly this only touches the surface but I hope it will be sufficient to reveal some of the mysteries of V/F modelling. I will attempt to answer questions of course but I am no "authority". Some of the "after market" people" produce parts that will assist as well.

Please note here that this image is more than a few times the size of the panel for the model and distance will lend enchantment.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: Vac(uum) Form(ed) Models

Post by ME453 »

Thank you for that David....it hurts me to say this, but I'm impressed! ;)
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

ME453 wrote:Thank you for that David....it hurts me to say this, but I'm impressed! ;)
Max
Actually, looking at it again so am I!! And I don't think I can follow that so it may languish thus!
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

May I ask a question David ?
When looking at the first photo of the kit, first impression is that it looks flimsy.
Is this the case, or are the parts similar to a plastic kit ?
I know it sounds like hard work, but a 1/48 scale Stirling sounds something I might be interested in.

Wayne
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Yes, of course.

The parts are fairly robust - perhaps not quite as "thick" as some of the well known names -Tam Revell Airfix etc. but sturdy enough, certainly, with which to work.

It will be necessary I think to reinforce the wings with spars because of the overall size - more to prevent twisting in later life, than possibly anything else. And you will see from the picture that I have included some frames to help the fuslelage keep its shape. It will be much a case of instinct as I go along I think. It is more work of course but I do (when I can settle down to it) enjoy doing that sort of thing. As you may know I am a scratch builder at heart so it does nurture my whims and fancies.

As to the Stirling - I have heard that it is rather poorly produced. Some have said that it is unbuildable. Max is threatening to buy one and so I suggest waiting on him and see what he has to say!! It seemed. you see, that some parts, of significance, e.g. wing and fuselage side were moulded so as to be incompatible with the other "half". I have seen photos - for what they are worth. I know that a masterpiece has been produced from this kit but I think that chap was quite an old hand, and able.

In the case of the Halifax, the fuselage halves would not join satisfactorily and a bit of persuasion was required, plus a "bit off here" and a "bit on there" . The canopy does not marry up either but I think again that can be persuaded, with a little heat treatment. I think that if you have had experience building flying models, the style of structure incorporated in those, for strength/lightness, is much that you would use for the vac form. Plus imitating the real thing - which is what I am doing as regards the wing overall - the main spar is visible in the photo - this is in fact "a hollow box" and will have another piece of plastic
through it ruining through the wings. I am sure you follow - and will probably get an email from Max for an explanation.
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

Thanks David for your excellent answer.
I may wait and see how Max rates the kit first before deciding to go ahead.
Thanks again,
Wayne.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

David said ..........
As to the Stirling - I have heard that it is rather poorly produced. Some have said that it is unbuildable. Max is threatening to buy one and so I suggest waiting on him and see what he has to say!!
Hi David & Max,

Just wanted to follow up on this Sangster - Short Stirling kit. I'm wanting to do this model because it will match the scale of my Lanc, ie: so I can have the two aircraft that my father flew in, side by side.
Also, if any other member can offer some thoughts, it would be appreciated.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sourc ... r8o-GoJEKw
Regards,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

My first reaction John is that vacu-formed kits are VASTLY different to build from the normal injection moulded ones and take a lot more time, patience, skill and determination! I'm not sure about the Stirling which is why I'm starting off with the Oxford - it's half built and I've learned a lot from doing it. It's one heck of a challenge!
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thanks for the low-down on the 'make' and what is required. When you mentioned 'SKILL' I thought the show was over BUT then the DETERMINATION in me kicked in. I feel compelled to making the 1:48 scale Stirling. The Lancaster I made has many, many faults but I still proud of it so if it means that this 'model' is going to be a challenge, then so be it ........... I'm up for it.
Thanks, Max.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

John - if you are keen to have a go then you MUST do so. Simple as that. Even if you end up putting it all in the bin it is still not a hanging offence.

As I have said earlier I understand the Sanger Stirling kit is not user friendly and so you may well be starting at a double disadvantage. But so what. I would suggest then that you seriously consider having a go - and between the three of us I reckon you could produce something presentable. The only aside I might make is that the Stirling clearly means something to you. Thus if it does not turn out entirely as you wish you might be disappointed. There might then be some merit in your trying first a smaller and less complex model as a rehearsal?? Don't know - you be the judge.