Airfix Lancaster Build

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: Airfix Lancaster Build

Post by ME453 »

Quite a few minor bits and pieces going on here. The white paint on the prop blades is an undercoat for the yellow tips; it's impossible to achieve a good yellow using acrylic without the white first. I've put a "flat" on the wheels by gently warming the plastic above a candle and then pressing on a flat surface. Any photo of a Lanc, loaded or not, will reveal that the tyre pressure was very low so this helps get the right "sit" of the model. The four engine nacelles are glued together and when dry and cleaned up will be painted before fixing in place on the wings. Again for the inboard nacelle it means deviating from the instructions because the undercarriage legs will be secured afterwards. They have been given a rough white undercoat before painting a mixture of shades of grey and silver. The tailplanes are ready for their Dark Green patterns and the tail fins have their matte black surfaces completed.

Oh, and Pringles dear chap (can't believe you've never seen them, but then you do live in Norfolk) are some rather addictive crispy snacky type things which go down well with a glass or three. Viognier is a lovely French wine which I discovered in Australia; the Pepper Tree vineyard in the Hunter Valley! Glad you're not Mr Grumpy after all! :) :) :)
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
schrage musik
Corporal
Corporal

Post by schrage musik »

Coming along well, i did wonder if you would go for the flattened tyres look, be nice if they were supplied as standard really as it really does give the model that 'real' look, as do the aerial lines.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

schrage musik wrote:Coming along well, i did wonder if you would go for the flattened tyres look, be nice if they were supplied as standard really as it really does give the model that 'real' look, as do the aerial lines.
Agreed Ben, but don't forget this is a very old kit, the sprues are stamped 1979 and the thought of "weathering" or making the models look realistic in a setting wasn't really thought about by the vast majority of modellers. We have a much higher level of sophistication in our understanding and means of modelling these days (not always to the benefit of model-making as an "art form"), but I'm surprised daily as I work on this kit just how good it is for its age and how well it compares with many of today's offerings. What was your experience with the Airfix Halifax (finished yet?), and perhaps David would care to comment about the Airfix Stirling?
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
schrage musik
Corporal
Corporal

Post by schrage musik »

The halifax kit is on hold at the moment, im thinking the two halves were from different boxes, as the both have lugs rather than a lug and hole configuration for locating the 2 fuselage halves.

Again old kit, but the sunderland im going to do is stamped 1960!!!

Im debating doing either the sunderland or possibly getting a beaufighter kit and doing Brahams aircraft!!!
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

schrage musik wrote:The halifax kit is on hold at the moment, im thinking the two halves were from different boxes, as the both have lugs rather than a lug and hole configuration for locating the 2 fuselage halves.
Easy...cut them off!! Job done. ;)
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
schrage musik
Corporal
Corporal

Post by schrage musik »

I would do but the halves dont match up that well!!!
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

schrage musik wrote:I would do but the halves dont match up that well!!!

You mean like they are both Port - or both Starboard? Sound a bit like the Sanger Stirling. ;)

I built the Matchbox Halifax - now a Revell re box, not too bad overall.

As to the Airfix Stirling it was not bad at all. Have to confess to not having built one of the older Airfix kits for many a year and so can't really usefully compare. The Stirling fuselage halves were a bit warped (which might have been the storage in the loft for more than a few years) and so had to be persuaded to be symmetrical. Other things were more in the way of corrections - like the outline of the flaps on the upper surface of the wing, and a sharpening of the trailing edges to the flying surfaces. But those things are a choice of course.

Ben is Dad hiving off all his cast offs onto you?? I really think he should increase you pocket money
schrage musik
Corporal
Corporal

Post by schrage musik »

Nah, he builds mainly 48th scale, i keep to 72nd, but nice to see 72nd being built here!!!
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Must admit I do both 1:72 and 1:48 - but have no real preference for either. the former is more testing of course but then I think that a nicely executed small model is very attractive. Like to see another picture of my Stirling?? Snigger snigger we are hi jacking the old fella's topic but who cares........
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

That's a great example there David. What would you and everyone think of having a a 'post' for say, all Stirlings, all Lancasters, all halifaxes, etc under their own 'titles' so if a member wants to look at a Stirling, he or she can see all the examples under one banner?

Of course we would need to clear it with the relevant 'mod'. Would want to upset our good friend, would we.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"