1:10 model: Who can I honour?

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: 1:10 model: Who can I honour?

Post by Stirling Project »

week tomorrow Robin, ie next Monday ;)

It's really no problem and I've found another diagram showing the door disconnect points

If nothing else it may give you some other ideas to work on

John L
eye4wings
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by eye4wings »

A week tomorrow I shall be starting a week's holiday in Dorset so I shall be away.

I am currently rebuilding the port undercarriage and adjusting the geometry. I have redesigned the door hinges to operate more freely than before and I can drop the wheel out of its oleos to attach the door operating rod. So long as it closes in the correct position I shall not worry about how far it opens.

I just hope I am not in the process of illustrating the saying 'it is better to travel hopefully than to arrive'!

Robin
eye4wings

Post by eye4wings »

Hi Gents,
A little more news... I just put a short video on YouTube showing the retract system (complete with doors) working.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_9C8k7z41E

Sadly it is beginning to look as if the fellow modeller who had agreed to put the drawings together for me no longer plans to do so and I am faced with doing so myself with my beginner CAD skills. That's going to be a challenge!

With that in mind I have come across information on 'The Incomplete Guide to Airfoil Usage' that the wing section used on the Stirling was 'Goettingen 436 mod' which is a flat-bottomed section. I based my build on the best 3-views I could find, which showed a curved line for the underside...
Does anyone know what that 'mod' was please?
Information on the percentage thickness of the wing would also be very useful - I might as well try and get it right for the purists out there if I have to do the drawings myself!

Robin
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Robin, as someone who does a significant amount of construction related drawing on computer, can I suggest that a basic program may prove more worthwhile in the long run.
You'd be surprise of the amount of drawing I do ( house plans, 3D, etc ) on the basic MS Paint and then send them over to a MS Powerpoint presentation. The end results continue to be beneficial.
This of course you have some basic knowledge of drawing.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
eye4wings

Post by eye4wings »

Thanks for the suggestion John.
I have tended to only get into MSPaint when the computer suggests it as a means of opening a file without the required file association defined and my impression of it has therefore not been the best compared to Photoshop.
I have been working at mastering CorelDraw and think I might be gaining a good enough basic understanding now, having almost completed drawings for a 1:4 scale Zenair 701. This at my third attempt in as many years!
I think it is the likely absorbtion of time that I find daunting for a model of the size and complexity of the Stirling. The old T-square and set-square system has become so automatic by now!

I don't want to find part-way through that I got the wing section wrong - hence my question as to what the modification was to the Goettingen.

Robin
eye4wings

Post by eye4wings »

It's ages since I started the undercarriage rebuild, but I have just got it ready for its next test flight.
The fit of such things as the gear doors has got extremely sloppy as the various repairs have taken their toll!

I have also embarked on the drawing up of the undercarriage in CorelDraw... and just above it looms that goettingen 436 wing section that I still don't know the modification for the Stirling. If nobody on this forum knows then I suppose I shall just have to go ahead and assume that it could just have been a thickening of the whole section.

I don't really trust any of the drawings I have seen on this point as they are all too small - or produced by artists!

I heard a few months ago that someone in Holland is planning to build a similar model to my own to fly at a commemoration in May 2015. I expect you gents will already know all about it ?
Robin
Last edited by eye4wings on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi Robin

I wonder if you are asking the right question - Do you actually want to know what the exact mods were to the Goettingen wing section or do you just want a drawing of the wing cross section, however it got that shape?

The wing cross section where it joins the body is often seen on crash photos of the Stirling when the wing has been removed (since it was a bolt on).

Just a thought.

James
eye4wings

Post by eye4wings »

Thanks James,
The Goettingen wing section is not a mystery - I have a drawing and co-ordinates for it, but when the dreaded word 'mod' appears after a section listing with no clue what part of it was modified, the modification seems normally to be in connection with leading edge slots or flaps - or both in the case of the Zenair 701 I recently modelled. I do wonder if it was something about the Gouge flaps.

My problem is that thicknesses of wing sections are normally expressed in percentage terms and I have seen nothing on any of the photos I have seen that give me a clue. Thickness would be hard to measure from photos anyway as perspective throws it out. If you have seen photos taken from near side on of the fuselage with wing removed however and can point me to them I would be grateful.

I cannot remember seeing any - though that doesn't mean I haven't at some time of course!
Robin
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

I got a couple of RAF chaps to hold one up for you! Any Good?

Sadly - but not surprisingly - the fuel tank is missing from the leading edge so you might have to extrapolate from the curve further into the wing.

The Goudge flap seems to be in place.

I think that the lower surface is truely flat since this is where the wing bomb cells are and curving that would have meant curving the bomb bay doors.

James
Attachments
P024549.jpg
P024549.jpg (142.2 KiB) Viewed 17792 times
Last edited by jamesinnewcastle on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

As best as I can get

Not really square on but the profile looks quite simple?

If these are any good I can mail you larger versions - I can only put small ones up here.

James
Attachments
Image56A.jpg
Image56A.jpg (24.51 KiB) Viewed 17792 times