1:10 model: Who can I honour?

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
eye4wings
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: 1:10 model: Who can I honour?

Post by eye4wings »

One thing the modellers of plastic static models don't have to worry about is weight distribution to get the centre of gravity right for flying. On checking the model out last week I found that the C of G was too far aft to risk flying it - the C of G needs to be ahead of the centre of lift by a small margin to allow the trim of the elevators to hold the nose up at all flying speeds.

Although I can only guess at where the Centre of lift will be I clearly needed more weight in the nose and decided that the only way I could do that would be to stow the radio system (and retract systems) batteries in the nose. I therefore needed to cut a hatch in the top of it to gain access. Doing violence to the nose would also give the opportunity to adjust some of the slightly off-scale areas so as to be less noticeably off, so that is what happened.

I took the model (in four sections) out into the garden again yesterday to put it together and checked the retracting systems to find that yet again they needed attention, but couldn't resist taking some more photos now the painting of the model is near complete.

I have adjusted the nose art yet again (for size this time - too small before) and there are still several jobs to be done, the most obvious of which are the exhaust shrouds and gear doors to make, then a week's holiday will delay the first flight, as will the unhelpful weather!
Attachments
Stirling 202.jpg
Stirling 202.jpg (200.13 KiB) Viewed 25182 times
Stirling 201.jpg
Stirling 201.jpg (159.04 KiB) Viewed 25182 times
Stirling 200.jpg
Stirling 200.jpg (212.87 KiB) Viewed 25182 times
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hi,

Fantastic (38 Group ;) ) work!
Could you be photographed in front of the aircraft to see the incredible size of it.
I would like to ask the Stirling Aircraft Society to publish an article (with photos) about your work in their magazine. Would you be OK?
I thank you in advance.
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

WOW !!

What a fantastic piece of craftsmanship mate. I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but I really hope that you are a better RCM flyer than modeller. :!: I have been to a few RC meets and was jaw droopingly astounded by the quality of the builds only to watch them crash into the ground and disintegrate into match wood because the guy could not fly his model. :( :( I for a few years had a 5ft glider (pre-made) and spent a considerable amount of time flying it, sadly more putting it back together. :oops:

A real credit to you and I hope as I am sure most members do that you have a successful maiden test flight!!

Smudger
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Fantastic effort there, Robin. It truly is a credit to you.
Our modeller Maestro , Max must be rather wobbly on his perch! Great effort again, mate!
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
eye4wings

Post by eye4wings »

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words... and thanks also for spoon-feeding me with much of the detail that has gone into the finishing of the model - although the model is still quite a way off actually being complete - there being a number of things requiring attention before that is the case.

Bruno, I will bear in mind your request for me to be in the photo with the Stirling when I next put the model together - which I will have to do at least once more before I take it off for test flying. As to an article I am not so sure.
My normal means of doing things involves publishing my design as a plan feature in Radio Control Model World, which pays me just about enough to cover the cost of materials used in building the models, but can't happen before the plans are redrawn in CAD - assuming flight testing is successful. My editor is not happy to publish second-hand information (not unreasonably) so I am already slightly pushing my luck in the things I have been sharing here - and hoping he will see what I have put out as being good publicity. Consequently I would be nervous of too much getting out before he has had his share so to speak.
What exactly did you have in mind?

Smudger, I am not getting any younger and I am well aware that my reactions are not quite what they were! It is partly this knowledge that has led me to design and build my models as light as I am able consistent with maintaining structural integrity. Generally the principle is that the lighter I can build the model, the less will be the wing loading and therefore the slower it will be able to fly, being thus more scale in appearance and using less power to do so. This in turn means less expense in building and less power consumed in flying, meaning less weight to carry and therefore requiring less structure to carry it etc....
Consequently I also give myself a better chance to keep on top of the flying of it.+
Can I keep it in one piece though? Time and chance (?) happen to us all though so, as Bomber Harris famously said 'it has not been tried yet and we shall see'!

The last four engined model was the DH114 Heron at 144" span, so this is not the largest model I have ever built, but it does have every bit as much wing area and is about the same all-up weight. In common with most larger models the Heron flew beautifully so I am expecting the Stirling's performance to be similar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aaG7nvg ... ure=relmfu
Which video also reminds me of the hazards of flying models that are not yet entirely completed!

John, I have no desire to knock anyone off their perch!
I will probably disappear leaving Max reigning supreme as suddenly as I arrived as my next planned build is a DH Fox Moth, followed by a DHC-4 Caribou, then maybe a Viscount and... (my wife groans!)
My intention from the outset was to redress the balance a little and to encourage other modellers to build from my plans (eventually - when they are published). Most of the four engine 'heavies' modelled are currently either B-17s or Lancasters with just a very occasional appearance of a Liberator or Halifax. How many Stirlings do we see?.. er, about er... none!
There are good reasons for this of course... number one, the complicated main gear and, two the flaps, both of which seem to take an awful lot of tweaking - but if I can do it using only a carpenter's hand tools there are plenty of real engineers out there who could do it a whole lot better. And in due course I hope they will.
So I am hoping that in the coming years the Stirling may yet get the representation it deserves among modellers.

Thanks again gents,
Robin
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hi Robin,

My idea is just to publish 2 or 3 photos (nothing more).
In any case, thanks for showing us your great work.
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Robin,
My modelling efforts with bits of plastic are NOTHING compared to what you and other scale model r/c people do. I am in awe of your skills in construction, which of course includes the mechanisms and electronics, and then the bravery (and there can be no other word) in flying them. I know I would be a nervous wreck, never mind the aircraft!!! I love watching r/c planes fly, I would like to think I could aspire to make and fly one, but will I???
Regards
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
eye4wings

Post by eye4wings »

Bruno,
I would have no problem with you publishing anything I have posted and will get you a photo of the model and modeller later today if the rain stays off for a bit!

Max,
We are just working in different areas. I find it difficult to imagine painting fine detail at the scales you work at. In many ways working large gets easier for the fingers (and the eyes!) to cope with.
Sure there is always the risk of sudden death by misadventure (for the model) but if we model fliers commit things we couldn't bear to lose to the skies there's something wrong with our thinking. I've seen videos of grown men crying after crashing their models, but they probably cost more than the family car and I simply wouldn't spend that much on a model. We all choose the levels we are happy to work at.

Robin
eye4wings

Post by eye4wings »

Starboard side.<br />Lack of crew list is a COMPLETE GUESS!
Starboard side.
Lack of crew list is a COMPLETE GUESS!
Stirling 2003i.jpg (240.56 KiB) Viewed 25157 times
Model and modeller (1)
Model and modeller (1)
Stirling 1995i.jpg (241.88 KiB) Viewed 25157 times
Model and modeller (2)
Model and modeller (2)
Stirling 1990i.jpg (201.33 KiB) Viewed 25157 times
Bruno,
I had to do the engine run tests so had the model together and interrupted my wife's cooking (ready for our holiday next week) to get her finger on the shutter.
The results are attached - choose whichever you wish.
I included a shot of the starboard side so you could see my guess at what that side's nose art may (or may not) have been. Please, anybody following this - DO NOT take this picture as definite proof that it actually was this way. It is simply my best guess that the crew list was not repeated because of the lower window that side.

Incidentally the engine test was successful, and I am VERY glad I put the model away again as while writing this a gust went through that would have been a serious risk to the airframe. I don't think my 11 stone would have been at risk but only 20 pounds of model is a different matter!
I have yet to calculate wing loading but I am guessing that to be around 20 ounces per square foot.
eye4wings

Post by eye4wings »

There is a little further news gents...
I was flying as a guest at the Lymington model aero club's field and, having taken the Stirling with me, was encouraged to go for a taxi. I did not intend to fly as the wind was picking up and I did not have the measure of the turbulence caused by the trees close to the field. Having made one ground run I attempted another run with the intention of making a short hop to check trim. The typically scale event that followed is recorded on this brief Vimeo film...
http://vimeo.com/48880686
The mounting points for the retract systems will be strengthened in the course of the next few days!
I am told there is also a film of the first run yet to be posted.