1:10 model: Who can I honour?

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
eye4wings
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

1:10 model: Who can I honour?

Post by eye4wings »

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Back in last October I started a rather protracted build of a radio-controlled model of the Stirling, the reasons for which were that apart from liking the look of the type I have not seen any other models of it being flown or published. It seems to be very much 'the forgotten bomber' in the modelling fraternity as elsewhere. The reasons for this lack of flying models are the practical difficulties of producing a working undercarriage and Gouge flap system (I am still struggling to get these reliable in operation). There are increasing numbers of other bomber types being flown and my intention is to publish my model design once it has been test flown so that the imbalance can be at least partially redressed.

As I seem to be entering the final phase of building and have started to finish it, I need to make a decision on which actual aircraft it will represent and this is where I would welcome some input.
Arthur Creighton, who came to speak at my local club last night, suggested that this forum might prove to be fruitful in this. So my question is (as header) 'Which aircraft and crew can I most usefully honour?'

As you will see from the photos below, although the model is only built to 'sport-scale' standard it has developed more towards being a Mk.IV, but earlier marks could be represented except for the fact that the intakes over the nacelles are of the longer type which seem to have been introduced in the Mk.IV. (I have been influenced by the slightly easier nature of this to model as it has less turrets!). It may be however that these were not standardised across the types during manufacture. Again I lack detail in this matter, but assuming this is so these could be modified even to go back to a Mk.I series 1 aircraft if there happened to be strong reason for doing so.
Attachments
Stirling 160a.jpg
Stirling 160a.jpg (105.81 KiB) Viewed 27397 times
Stirling 164b.jpg
Stirling 164b.jpg (109.31 KiB) Viewed 27397 times
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: 1:10 model: Who can I honour?

Post by AlanW »

First of all, welcome to the forum. Secondly, that is an awsome loking bit of kit you've got there. My first choice of aircraft to represent, would be 218sqdn Stirling EF452, HA-O, under the captaincy of Arthur Aaron on the night of 12/13th August, under circumstances for which he was awarded a very well deserved VC. Amazes me how he managed what he did, in the condition he was in at the time.
Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Yes, ( don't know your name but welcome to our friendly forum ) .......... As Alan has mentioned, I tend to agree with him regarding the nominated squadron. Maybe we should let Bruno, the site administrator, make his selection.

At the end of the day, the way I see it ............ any squadron that flew Stirlings, are more than worthy.
Regards,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
eye4wings

Post by eye4wings »

Thank you Alan and John,
A very worthy starter - and for all I know with their relegation to second line duties my hoped-for Mk.IV hero may not exist to challenge Aaron's nomination!

So he flew a Mk.III and I gather pictures do exist to satisfy my wish to know relative sizes of sqdn codes and aircraft code. Are you able to tell me where I can find pictures of Stirling EF452 please?

As you say John they were all worthy of honour and unending gratitude - but that doesn't choose me a single example - and I am not likely ever to build another of these... I probably don't have the years left!

Robin
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thanks for your reply, Robin. Steve, our local 218 sqn historian may also be best suited to form an opinion .......... Steve?
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
eye4wings

Post by eye4wings »

I'm guessing Steve is not a regular visitor to the forum - or is perhaps enjoying a holiday at the moment?

In the hope that I will not eventually be proved rash, while making the hatches for the starboard engine nacelles, I have started changing the intakes above the cowls to the outline of the Mk.III and resigning myself to making two additional turrets!
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hi,

Welcome on board!
So it won't be a mark IV :cry:
There were impressive nose arts on Stirling MkIV and...impressive acts of bravery as during Operation Market Garden when Stirlings crews described walls of flak and all sort of weapons on the dropping zone. Each aircraft had to fly in circle to wait for the dropping of the load of the precedent aircraft on the dropping zone and all the aircraft flew in the Hell.
Here an example extracted from 38 Group website (190 Squadron flew Mark IV):
No.190 Squadron flew a total of 98 sorties and had to suffer of heavy losses due to anti-aircraft fire and enemy planes (12 aircraft failed to return and 38 men were killed). On 21 September, 10 Stirlings took off but only 3 returned to base. Of the 7 aircraft which failed to return, one was piloted by the Commanding Officer of the Squadron, Wing Commander G E Harrison DFC, S S(US). Finally, on 23rd, for the last re-supply flights of the Squadron, only 7 aircraft took off (No.190 Squadron had so suffered that it was all it could muster) but fortunately all returned to base after having successfully accomplished their mission.
It'll be a hard choice but of course Arthur Aaron would aslo be a wonderful choice.
You should also search around your home if there were veterans who flew the Stirling because it would be also nice to honor one of them. They're all heroes!
All I must say is thank you for your work and to help us to keep the memory of the Short Stirling alive. What you do is really fanstastic.
Kind regards.

Bruno

PS: If you want to join smudgersmith218, you should send him a private message from this Forum. ;)
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

I already did Bruno, before I posted my last comments.
Robin, as Bruno mentioned, there are many you could pay homage to. Once you have selected the model type ....... as I can see you have already, if you do not have preferred person or squadron, I can send you full details of relevant aircraft ( aircraft style photos / serial codes ) etc. ........... as you required them.
Cheers,
John
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

K4KittyCrew wrote:I already did Bruno, before I posted my last comments.
John,
As usual: A big thank you! ;)
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
eye4wings

Post by eye4wings »

I am a puzzled man - thought I had posted a reply and just logged on again to see what further replies it might have drawn... and it seems not to have survived!
So start again...

Promise of nose art photos would soon have me back aiming for a Mk.IV Bruno!
The invasion stripes (fuselage only? (if the scant detail I have is correct)) plus something nice on the nose might well seal it for me!
And you have a choice???
(Do I sense Christmas may have come early this year?!)

The only Mk.IV I have any colour detail on is QS-E (no serial shown - presumably obliterated by the invasion stripes) of 620 sqdn. - and that is just a port side view and shows no nose art (perhaps why the artist chose it?)

Would it be possible for me to have a look at what is available please?.. either by link or attachment?