Norfolks Model Airforce

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Norfolks Model Airforce

Post by halifax1 »

The "rig" is 55 feet long, and inside was...

a 1/12th scale Stirling and some other models..

all built by one chap over the last 40 years or so - amongst them was a Vulcan, B36, Dakota and a Horsa Glider which is towed by the Dak. a Vickers Viscount, Typhoon, Canberra etc.

They are all "control line" models - that is they are flown around the "pilot" in a circle and the "wires" can be operated by the pilot to operate the control surfaces in order that the model can perform manoeuvres as well as take off and land of course. The Stirling is by far the largest and the "pull" on the lines is such that the pilot (who is not a small man) needs a colleague who is a bit larger at some 20 stones (280 English pounds) to help anchor him. I hope to get some flying shots another time. Quite pleased it is an Englishman who thinks this "big" but then he does live near Sculthorpe which was an American base for a while so maybe he has been influenced by the big stuff that flew from there at times.
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Norfolks Model Airforce

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

It is really impressive.
I expect that we'll see some photos (by example with a man in front of it). We should be impressed by the size!
Thanks for the photos.
Kind regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

WOW!!! Can't begin to imagine that Stirling going round. Good job you've got some big skies over in the far east!
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great find there, David. It is amazing to see such dedication from like minded people.
Hope we get to see them in their full bloom one day.
Thanks again,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Yes - well he is not far away from me so first opportunity I will try and get some pics - but yes - he is a total enthusiast. I was amused though that he bought an artic. to store and transport his models. Mind you not much choice when you think about it?
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Here's a photo of the Stirling from a local Norfolk(?) online newspaper - iWitness24

It was taken when the Antiques Roadshow visited RAF Marham in May this year. Presumably the programme will be broadcast in the Autumn. One to watch out for.

Dave
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Well done dave - must admit have not had time to search this chap anymore - and I said above it was 1/12th scale - in fact it is 1/6th scale! a bit more info. by the way..

There are other models by this chap in your picture.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Look at the number of build hours!!!!!!!!
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

As a schoolboy in North Creake, near Fakenham, Tony Nelson was often disciplined for gazing out of the window at the many aircraft flying over his head from the nearby RAF base.
Source edp24.com
Source edp24.com
Jolly roger.jpg (113.5 KiB) Viewed 6573 times
His daydreams later inspired a life-long passion for model-making which has lasted 60 years and seen him make 26 large scale military models.

His masterpiece and possibly the final part of the collection – Stirling MK III LJ525 Ex-R Jolly Roger – was brought to the former RAF North Creake airfield on Thursday.

It is a one sixth scale model of the aircraft which flew 60 missions from RAF North Creake and it was the first time a Stirling, of any type, has been on the airfield since 1947.
The model, which will feature on The Antiques Roadshow on BBC One next month, has taken Mr Nelson 7,000 hours to build over the course of 15 years. Mr Nelson, 70, from Great Bircham, a retired lorry driver, said he has spent well over 35,000 hours on all of his models.
They make up Norfolk’s Model Air Force Collection, which Mr Nelson formed in 1970 and exhibits all over the country.
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/model_maker ... _1_2004359

Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!