1:48 Scale Tamiya Lancaster Build

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

1:48 Scale Tamiya Lancaster Build

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Folks,

Wonder if someone could explain to me why a 1:72 scale Lancaster model has 'moving' ailerons flaps but my 1:48 scale model flaps are fixed. Having just looked at Max's 1:72 scale Lanc, with it's internal painted flaps, I was looking to do the same with my 1:48 scale model but noticed I cannot do so. Can these be reconfigured to open / move?
Thanks.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: 1:48 Scale Tamiya Lancaster Build

Post by halifax1 »

Hello John - you have been lucky - must have been a very good boy for santa to bring you such a nice present!!

Moveable controls on any model are not a good idea. They are very "out of scale" and I know of no serious modeller who does not - where they are part of the kit - e.g. Airfix re fit them and close up the gaps so to speak. You can if you wish "fit" them so that they are angles - e.g. one aileron up slightly and one down - and the elevators dropped but if you will look at the pictures of many Lancasters on the ground few have control that are "moved". I think in fact the control column was often locked and so control neutralised.

Yes - flaps can often be seen down. And it is quite nice to show them thus on a model. But they are an after market extra. You can get them from Eduard and they are "photo etch". They make up very well and look good. But the parts are tiny and very fiddly. In all honesty as this is one of your first it might be best to leave them off. The PE kit is about £16 (GB).

Max is away with Mum at the moment and I think he has some photos of the PE parts - this will give you an idea of what is involved. Can I suggest that you have a lot of other bits to do for the moment and we have a chat when Max is back in harness later in the week.

However just to wet your appetite here is one I did earlier

And the assembled flaps
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thanks David, ( Having now looked at your photo ) I'm a dill. Must be the Xmas excitement and all that.

I was looking at the ailerons ( not moving ) but now you have shown the photo, I also meant the elevators!
I have just checked my model and sadly, they are fixed as well. Not a happy chappy.
Your aircraft looks superb with the elevators down.
I just might have to modify mine ............ infact, I will ............. cut them out, fit a strand of metal wire on either end ..............that should do it, well, will need to 'create' the internal markings on the elevators ( which are shown when 'dropped' .......... as your is, looks great!

ALSO, Noticed that your rear tail fin is in a dull red colour ............ In truth, I was going to do the same, cause 630 Sqn had their fins as such ( I believe )

SO.......... what squadron does your aircraft represent, David.
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Oh goodness you do go on don't you... ;) :lol:

Right I think you are talking about flaps because the elevators on my model are fixed and in the neutral position.

Only the flaps are dropped and in fact on this model (1:72 Hasegawa) they are resin - which someone passed on to me. The picture of the flaps above are the PE ones you would use for the 1:48 Tam model. Sorry for the confusion.

My model shown is DX-A of 57 Squadron. I chose that because it has no side windows and looks a bit "pretty' with the red fins. By the way in a photo I have of the real one you can see that the red paint has been applied very casually and a strip left in the centre unpainted - or more precisely left black.

Another view:-
as it is Christmas and Max is away,
but not the best of photos!! It is the sunshine you see!
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

Hi John,
Glad you're about to start your Lanc.
Good luck, and I'll be following your progress closely.
When I have some spare cash I've decided to have a go at a 1/72 Stirling. Probably in the New Year.

Cheers,
Wayne.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Folks,

Just starting on the turrets and require some clarification on the 'colour' of paint. The main canopy seems to have the 'brown / green' theme but the front and rear turrets strike me as being black only.
Mid upper ? .............. Any expert commentary is most welcome.
John
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

John the frame work on the front and rear turrets - both inside and out- was black. The mid upper seemed to vary but in several cases was it seems the earth/green finish. The canopy was the earth/green finish too. There is a lot of debate as to what colour appeared under the rear of the canopy. It was most frequently "earth". The reason was that in all probability the airframe was sprayed all over with "earth" before assembly of the glass wear and then this was masked off and eh green then applied after the whole airframe was complete. But again it has been said that the front and rear turrets were installed after that??

Much has been written and proclaimed about the finishes - how the paint was applied etc. The shades certainly varied. If you follow the basic rules you will not go far wrong - but of course you will always meet a rivet counter who will contradict what you have done. Take no notice. However do not rely upon aircraft that have been restored - e.g in museums.

Wayne - the Airfix Stirling is quite a nice build - do have a go. Spare cash?? - let me know the secret please. Could do with some.
D
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Many thanks David and Wayne (re: email ) for your advice.

As a whole, there certainly a lot to it. Once I get a bit of it together and in a reasonable state, I post some photos. So far I've managed to assemble / paint, the undercarriage and the turrets.
With the turrets, I've got them so the guns move up and down but I'm thinking of 'fixing' them so they do not pose an issue (being sloppy and drooping ) later on when the build is finished.
Thanks,
John

PS - Wayne, love to see you do a Stirling ............looking to be my next challenge after this one.
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

John,

As soon as the shops are open again I'll go have a look at the Stirling.
David has set a high benchmark with his fine example, but I'm keen to have a go :)

Wayne.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

wayne wrote:John,

As soon as the shops are open again I'll go have a look at the Stirling.
David has set a high benchmark with his fine example, but I'm keen to have a go :)

Wayne.
You are kind Wayne - when you are ready - like in a day or two ( ;) :lol: ) perhaps you can open a new topic please?? Not sure how familiar you are with building models and so can you shout if you need any comment etc.