1:48 Scale Tamiya Lancaster Build

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: 1:48 Scale Tamiya Lancaster Build

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thank you to all and sundry for your kind comments.

Wayne, without getting too far ahead of myself..................when this build is completed, it is only fair that I do a Short Stirling, in memory of my father, Joe Pollard RAAF, 1661 HCU.

So far, so good with the build. ( with the slight imperfections along the way ) but with all the help and best wishes from fellow members, it has sincerely been a great help, make no mistake.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Hi John - just echoing everyone else - it's getting better all the time! Very impressed you've jumped in with the airbrush...don't tell my boy, he doesn't know they exist ;)

Richard
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Fellow modellers,

Could someone please advise me .................. I need to glue the propeller cones on, so .............. what is the best position to have the propellers at?

Two tips up - one tip up, etc .........on all four engines.
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

The 'axle' the props are mounted on, should be moveable once fixed allowing any position. but if you've fixed them, I'd suggest random as it wasnt practise of wartime groundcrews to line up the blades. Thats a preserve of the BBMF!
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by kookabat »

A Dragons supporter I see, John?? :)
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

I prefer to "stick" the props on as they can fall off and get broken. As to position - most pictures seem to show a regular "two up and one down" position but of course they may have been tidied up for the camera. I think engines would have "stopped" either in a two up or one up position though and thus a combination of these positions would probably be OK - but not too precisely perhaps?
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thank you gentlemen,

Alex and David, yes, I will go with that. I must have done something wrong along the way, cause to 'glue' is the only way I can fix them. Will post some photos over the next day or so.
Adam, there is only one team that counts .......... the team you happen to support is always the best, in my case, I've been a lifetime tragic Dragons fan. The whole of Monterey Keys knew which team I supported on Grand Final day!
John
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

John - I don't know if you have perhaps omitted to fit the axles prior to joining up the engine sides. However this is for the best - I usually cut off the little disc that stops the axle falling out and simply insert the axle into the propellor boss. Then, on assembly of the props and spinner etc. you can insert the axle into the hole in the engine cowling and "fix' - either by gluing or a tint bit of blue tak concealed behind the spinner. y the way have just watched "Night Bomber" - general airfield shots sow props at either two up or one up but by no means "tidy' - they are all "settled" slightly differently.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi David,

When I wrote
I must have done something wrong along the way, cause to 'glue' is the only way I can fix them
I hadn't seen the inside of the cone for fixing the 'axle' to it. Anyway, It is all sorted and like you say, 'fitting the axle into the hole' made it all work out although i did have to cut down the axles, otherwise they would have left a big gap ( lucky I'm not on a car / aircraft assembly line )
The big reveal is not too far away.

Also, I noticed on your lanc ( with the 57 sqn tail fin, that there are no decals on it .......... I take it that was standard practice?)
John
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

That is good news John - and yes there were no fin flashes on DX-A - probably overpainted when the read was applied = probably with a yard broom!!