1:48 Scale Tamiya Lancaster Build

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: 1:48 Scale Tamiya Lancaster Build

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Does anyone know where I can order personalised decals for a 1:48 Scale Tamiya Lancaster, whether it be here in Oz or over the net?

Naturally, I'm chasing ................
LE K with serial code ND531 and LE X with serial code LM537

Preferable, the squadron codes to have 'yellow' outlines.

I have tried to find a local vinyl letter/ graphic artist / printer, here on the coast but to no avail.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

K for Kitty Crew wrote:Does anyone know where I can order personalised decals for a 1:48 Scale Tamiya Lancaster, whether it be here in Oz or over the net?

Naturally, I'm chasing ................
LE K with serial code ND531 and LE X with serial code LM537

Preferable, the squadron codes to have 'yellow' outlines.

I have tried to find a local vinyl letter/ graphic artist / printer, here on the coast but to no avail.
John
There's your problem John....the yellow outlines!! Nobody that I know, and believe me I've looked, does 1/48th size squadron codes with the yellow outlines, 1/72nd "Yes", 1/48th "No". I can probably fix you up with the ordinary letters in dull red and the serial numbers if that's any use.
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

I did this once - paint an area yellow on some "blank" decal paper. Then cut around - precisely - the letter from a "bought" decal sheet. Prepare the letter for sliding off in the usual way - but when ready dab off as much water as possible. Slide the letter onto the "yellow" area. Leave to dry and when dry cut around the edge of the letter leaving a suitable margin of "yellow". You are lucky John in that your letters are all straight lines and so you can use a straight edge all the way. An "S" is a real pain. I think the serials - dull red - are obtainable.

D
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Max, i will send you a PM soon.

David, your Lanc that you posted with 57 sqn decals, etc ................... is this the one that you speak of, regarding the yellow outlines?
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

No john - it was one that someone else was building quite a while ago. It easier than it sounds by the way - and at 1:48 less fiddly than 1:72. In fact I would say piece of cake. By the way I forgot to mention that when you have put the red letter on the yellow area it is a good idea to coat it all with Microscale Liquid Decal Film.

In the old days we used to make our own decals using a piece of gummed paper, and on the gummed side applying a couple of coats of clear dope and then painting on the image and then another coat of clear dope. But in those days (before Max was borne) almost everything was from scratch because there was nothing else. Real modelling!! No plastic. It is funny but sometimes I still yearn for those times. Spending most of the day trying to get a model aeroplane engine to start and when it did start - down came the rain. The "solid" model kits - for runner of todays plastic ones: containing bits of vaguely shaped balsa ( that was like oak - all the good stuff was used on Mosquitos) a bit of wire - two discs and a piece of sandpaper - Oh and a propeller made of tin. But we were happy - no moaning about inaccurate or ill fitting parts...... ah... bliss.

The DX-A model is done with old decals I got at one of "Model" shows possibly 10 years or so ago.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Funnily enough, when I was a child, my Dad used to make flying aircraft from balsa wood and tissue. I have very clear memories of plans, of thin strips of wood being pinned to the plan before gluing, and the smell of the dope to stretch the tissue (wonderful!!). A whiff of (my) nail varnish remover instantly takes me back 55 years! ;)
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Stop it... I am filling up..... Keil Kraft - Skyleada - model yachts on the Bournville Pond... I still have it.... must be older than me.. was built by a chap who did not return from the War... very sentimental.
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

ME453 wrote: A whiff of (my) nail varnish remover instantly takes me back 55 years! ;)

So Max, that red nail polish we found in the guest room after you left was yours. Along with the pantyhose and eyeliner.
Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! ;)
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
halifax1