1:48 Scale Tamiya Lancaster Build

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: 1:48 Scale Tamiya Lancaster Build

Post by halifax1 »

John, that is masterly. It will look very good and I am a bit envious actually. My models are in tailor made cardboard boxes in the roof space!! Never see the light of day. The problem is that I have many books - perhaps 500+ - plus pictures and so wall space is at a premium. I have no room for a cabinet - well....... maybe........hmmmmmmm........no,...... no wish to die so will not evict my wife's china...... ahh... perchance to dream??

And are you going to apply a matt coat of varnish? You will have to avoid the "glassware" of course but some you can apply with a brush but thin it a bit -with water if acrylic - and very light thin coats. A little gloss grinning through does not hurt by the way - sometimes a bit of a sheen did happen - don't really know why.
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

I know years ago you could get printed backgrounds for model railways. They would be too small, but if you could find a suitable one it could be blown up on a copier or failing that, used as inspiration for your own brush!
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi David,

At the moment, I haven't applied any further product to the build. I'm thinking that your comments about a overall matt finish clear makes alot of sense and I will give the Lanc a total coat to create uniformity, thus ensuring no future problems to arise, not to mention a better look for now.

Alex, as we speak, I'm looking at current photos of East Kirkby, that I can illustrate onto the 'two walls' that I have built, to get a true 3D background affect. I'm currently looking to stencil on a 'background' and I'm looking to draw / charcoal an outline, in order to airbrush the overall background. Who knows how it will come out but I trust my old drawing skills, if any, to suffice.

Thank you gentlemen, for your comments and advice,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Looks good john, you need a good diaroma to do justice to such an excellent model!

Richard
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Have just seen your post about photos for East Kirkby - I assume you want colour. There is not a lot of the original airfield left now - the chicken sheds etc. have used quite a bit. I could have anther look if you are not in an immediate hurry.

Here is a picture of the Watchtower and you will see that the area has been landscaped etc. I don't think there are any of eh orignial buildings etc.that you could use - Jane is in a modern hanger.

However most wartime airfields were built to the same specification and looked pretty much the same. Are you content with say the runway and grassed areas or do you want buildings in the back drop??

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Folks,

Thanks again for all the feedback and comment. David, that photo of the watchtower is spot on. Runways and grassed areas would work as well. I guess if i was standing by the plane, looking back over the station, seeing the watch tower and an overview of the place, is pretty much my way of thinking ..................... providing I can draw and paint it.

John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Ahhh.. so you are going to paint it - I thought you might want to use actual photos. I can probably help with some general views -