1:48 Scale Tamiya Lancaster Build

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: 1:48 Scale Tamiya Lancaster Build

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi folks,

I have just installed the decals / my fathers squadron codes and serial numbers on this model. A very BIG thank you to Max for going to the trouble of sourcing & supplying them.
Can't thank you enough, mate. Tomorrow I hope to take a few photos and post them.

I must say that applying the decals was much harder than actually making the model ! Luckily Max put a few extras in.
Until then ...........
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Folks,

Here's a couple of pics, taken today. As you can see, after all the hard work Max went to source them & send them to me, I had issues with the decals. Mainly trying to get the clear sections of the decal to disappear. I'm thinking of cutting around the letters and re-touching up the 'black' if need be .......... and I welcome all advice, comment, negative or positive. Your feedback will alleviate any future problems. . Also, the black came out very bleached, so to speak ( I don't mind the old / weathered look ) but I ask, is it caused by too much acrylic thinners, maybe? Again, all comment is good.

Note the rear tail fin has been done to represent 630 Squadron. ( Dull Red with the Black horizontal strip )
John

" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Heck John, that's one fine Lanc you've made there, you should be very proud of yourself, it looks excellent. The decal situation is what's called "silvering" and is a common problem. The usual solution is to apply a coat or two of "Klear" or "Future" (this is actually a floor polish produced by Johnsons) to the kit once painted but before decalling. The shiny surface gives a smooth finish to slide the decals onto - this gets rid of silvering which is caused by tiny air bubbles trapped between a matte paint surface and the underside of the decal. Once the decals are settled and dry, the model then needs a coat of a matte finish of course!
Well done old chap
Regards
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

That looks stunning John, I think you've done a great job. I like the lighting effect you've created too - could do with some of that here ;)
Cheers,
Richard
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

Crikey, she's a beauty mate !!!
Well done John, looks awesome.

Wayne.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

11/10 and 12/10 when you apply the matt coat which could well cure the 'Silvering" problem.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Sorry David, not being the sharpest tool in the shed, could you please explain the meaning of 11/10 ....... 12/10 ?
John
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

K4KittyCrew wrote:Sorry David, not being the sharpest tool in the shed, could you please explain the meaning of 11/10 ....... 12/10 ?
John
I think he means John, in his quirky old fashioned way, that he's awarding you more than full marks! But they're a strange lot over in Norfolk with their odd ways and customs (some you don't want to ask too much about!) so I could be way off beam! :?
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Max's explanation is about right John. Yes maximum marks plus......

I suppose to some we, in Norfolk, are strange - particularly to those who are somewhat primitive - or to put it in the vernacular _ "knuckle draggers".

I do think that youcan be justly proud of your model - and clearly the Stilring - should you decide to accept the challenge will very much hone your skills to a very keen edge.

As a matter of interest should you buy the Stirling is it likely you will be penalised by your Government by way of taxes etc? You see sometimes in this Country absolution can be gained by it being sent as a present. Thus we may be able to hatch a cunning plan??
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thanks Max ........... the penny has dropped. Took a while for it to work it's way through the slot system ................ and thank you David for your accessment. You'll be please to know, that a trip down to the local hobby store proved successful. I returned home armed with 'Mr Mark Setter' ........ a small bottle of with a brush handle, which I applied over the decals and hey presto! A very big, near perfect improvement. Thanks again for everyone's help in ironing out my bugs.

Whilst there, I also purchase some fake lawn and tarmac. I have now built a corner unit to fit in above my office desk ( keep the little ones away ) .
The unit, built with two sides, will allow me to 'paint in' a 3D effect, of some hangers and general things found at say, East Kirkby airfield.

Looks pretty plain at present but hopefully, it will look the part. Any thoughts on what to add will be appreciated.
John