Airfix Short Stirling with White Ensign P.E. sets.

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: Airfix Short Stirling with White Ensign P.E. sets.

Post by Stirling Project »

Looking good Mike 8-)
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

It's looking fantastic - thanks for the updates Mike, I'm following with interest.

Richard
highnoon1966
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by highnoon1966 »

Thanks for the update Mike, looking good :D 8-)
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

I’ve been working on the undercarriage the main legs have been replaced with plastic rod and lead foil from wine bottles. The mud guards have been reduced in thickness and extra details added in plastic card. I was thinking of adding more detail in the undercarriage bays but once this lot has been installed you can’t see all that much so I won’t bother. The front gear doors have been fashioned from lead foil while the main doors have been reduced in thickness and will be re-scribed in due course.
Till the next.

Mike
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

This is looking very nice - there were I think I recall some oddities generally which calls for re-scribing which you obviously have in hand. I remember too that the cockpit was a bit bizarre - the levels of the floors quite wrong but at this scale not too much of a problem. Clearly it is going to look spot on when finished. The PE is looking rather good too - I have never used it much myself because of the two dimensional effect but the White Ensign pack contains some jolly good stuff by the look of it! Keep going.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Well this looks the business Mike, a great looking build. Like you, I'm also keen on trying to get "scale thicknesses" of items such as trailing edges, profiles of u/c doors etc. I can never understand some modellers who go to enormous lengths to detail a cockpit of a Lanc for example but then don't thin down the armour plating behind the pilot's head! But, oh how I wish someone would produce a Stirling in 1/48th, my preferred scale (Yes John, I know you've made a fantastic job of the Sanger one but there are just too many issues with the basic kit for me!).

Good to see you're still alive and kicking Parky old boy......cold over there in th eastern wastelands?!

Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

This shows the internal rib detail being added to the gear doors using lead wire.

Port wing with the landing light detail added and the undercarriage doors awaiting a coat of paint.

In this view the landing light cover has been fixed and masked off but a little more work with filler is required to make things neat. Hopefully re-scribing can commence soon.

The undercarriage painted while the wheels await masking for the tyres to be airbrushed.

Till the next.

Mike
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great work, Mike ........... full steam ahead!
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

At last the re-scribing has begun. I’ve made templates for the wing tanks and ailerons from plastic card held in position with double folded electrical tape. In experiments I’ve found that electrical tape is sufficiently robust to allow a scribing tool to pass along it without mishap. It also readily bends around corners and contours.

Till the next
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

looking nice Mike

just need to get some WEM wheels for mine and it's all systems go

John L