Airfix Short Stirling with White Ensign P.E. sets.

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Re: Airfix Short Stirling with White Ensign P.E. sets.

Post by CavOk »

Thanks for the encouraging words.
Mike
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

You're making a great job and great photos!
Thanks for all.
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Todays work is the cleanup of the fuselage joints, preparation of the forward turret recess for remodelling to a more accurate shape and the test fit of the wings.
The tailplane and fin have been fixed the only thing to remember is that reducing the thickness of these surfaces requires the attachment point to be thinned accordingly. This is easily achieved with an emery board before these parts are fitted.
Surprisingly the kit canopy looks ok as this is a recent mould when compared to an old original which is truly awful. Therefore I will keep the kit one and just polish and future it as usual.
Next will be a wash in luke warm water with a splash of washing up liquid to get rid of the accumulated dust inside and out followed by a primer coat to show up imperfections and then re-scribing of the fuselage.
Till the next.

Mike
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Hi Mike

That canopy has come up commendably clear, I might have to use my Falcon one on the very much older kit in the stash and use the kit one on my newer one 8-)

John L
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

This picture shows the cockpit interior before I add the seats, the port holes have been masked and once the cockpit and bomb aimers transparencies have been fitted I’ll prime the fuselage just in case anything needs fettling. Then the rescribing can begin.

Here you can see the PE seats assembled painted and ready for installation. You can also see the cockpit and bomb aimers transparencies masked and ready for fitting.
Till the next.

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Just a few pictures of the cockpit to show the interior before the canopy goes on. Also you can see how the front turret recess has been remodelled using plastic card and filler.
Till the next.
Mike
highnoon1966
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by highnoon1966 »

WOW! what fantastic detail, superb :) 8-)
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

OH dear - sorry to say this but there are two rivets missing from the panelling by the navigators table. I really don't know how you can have been so careless!! :shock: :twisted: ;)
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

halifax1 wrote:OH dear - sorry to say this but there are two rivets missing from the panelling by the navigators table. I really don't know how you can have been so careless!! :shock: :twisted: ;)
Oh tish poo I'll have to bin it!!
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

CavOk wrote:
halifax1 wrote:OH dear - sorry to say this but there are two rivets missing from the panelling by the navigators table. I really don't know how you can have been so careless!! :shock: :twisted: ;)
Oh tish poo I'll have to bin it!!
It's looking a treat Mike, really inspiring!

Pretty rich comment from Halibag there - he's had a screw loose himself for years now :D

R