Fortress III of 214 sqdn, 100 Group

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Fortress III of 214 sqdn, 100 Group

Post by halifax1 »

Is this topic still active?
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

halifax1 wrote:Is this topic still active?
But of course dear chap, it's progressing very well - scratch building the window chutes at the moment. I'll post some pics shortly. Wings primed and painted with a base camouflage, though I want to achieve the right look for the Fort based on the research that I've done; 214's Forts all seem pretty well worn, must be the balmy Norfolk climate!
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

I think I recall being told that these Forts came from all kinds of places and had been well used before they arrived with 214. The Americans were a bit mean with their paint anyway and probably used very thin coats because they had this conviction that paint added weight. For example towards the end of the War it was not permitted to paint parts cannibalised from other aircraft. This explains why you see Forts etc. with different coloured rudders ailerons wing tips etc. Patchwork effect in many cases. But they did a jolly good job. And they chose to do daylight raids - apparently to minimise missing the target.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

So I wonder how often they used their Norden sights?
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Max, not looking to hijack your post, just thought I'd find a few RAF Fortresses for you, mate :)
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Thank you John, the third one and the last one are especially useful because they confirm the position and general look of the flame dampers on each exhaust. Lots of interesting bits to note, not least that there was so much variation between the aircraft that I've almost got carte blanche with the finish!
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

A couple of minor updates, I'm spending a reasonable amount of time on the Fort but there doesn't seem to be too much to show for my efforts!

Firstly that brilliant picture that John "Kittycrew" found of a 214 squadron Fort which clearly shows the flamedamper under the engine, confirming thankfully what I've modelled, see below. Also a clear picture for some of the aerials and the window chutes below the waist gunner position. I've built these but won't be adding them until much later after the fuselage is closed up and finished prior to spraying.

Initial camouflage work on the stbd upper:

And "black" on the lower:

Detail of the flamedamper on the outer engine (and the grills in the air intakes, old net curtain strips!):

and of the engines temporarily fitted but more work to do there yet!

Next stage is decalling on the wings after a few more sprays of subtlety different shades in some areas plus a few applications of Klear to hopefully avoid silvering. More soon...........
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Yes - notice you have used a bit of licence for the camo. pattern.

In case you do not have it, I also have Streetley's other book on the matter which shows some other photos of the installation of aerials etc. Should you therefore experience a dilemma I will readily try and assist.

Incidentally the picture of BU-W shows it flying over Norfolk.

D.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Thanks David, I have both of Streetly's books - and in fact the camouflage pattern comes from his 100 group book for modellers so I had assumed his scheme was correct! However it seems there was tremendous variation (note the forward section windows are not blacked out in John's photo) and the H2S dome is painted whereas in others it's left "clear" so I think I'll stick with the wings as they are!
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Precisely - which again confirms that like with many machines of war there were variations undoubtedly due to necessity and circumstances which must have bee infuriating for the desk bound types whose "memos" were filed under B1nby those at the sharp end.