Fortress III of 214 sqdn, 100 Group

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: Fortress III of 214 sqdn, 100 Group

Post by ME453 »

I've made and fitted the exhaust shrouds which all the clear pictures that I've seen of 100 Group Fortresses had. A little tidying up required of course!

The fuselage and internals are complete and "zipped up", some sanding and corrective work needed but not too much. The forward chin turret fairing etc has been removed ready for the H2S dome which, happily appears to fit remarkably well. There is a fairing strip evident on the Fortress III running around the fuselage/dome interface so that will hide any small discrepancies.

The window areas needed a bit of work prior to painting over:

but at least the pilot's ready to go! Good man.

H2S dome fitted:
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thanks for that Max, it's coming along nicely.
The pilot seems to give it his seal of approval as well :)
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Oi! Yew gonna get this finished bro' or have yew dun y'self a michif wi one o' they golf clubs?
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Give me a chance old chap, only just got back from four days in Lincoln. Out on the garden today but may have some time tomorrow! I've been researching my next models too, 2 Mosquitoes (Mk VI) from 515 squadron based at Little Snoring and 1 from 169 squadron from Great Massingham, all in your neck of the woods I believe?
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Yes indeed old boy. Both within a short distance. Little Snoring is still intact in a small way and is used for private flying. The Hangers are still there as is the peri track and the remains of the watchtower. Massingham not so.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

The hanger is used for storage and the building to the right is the flying clubs hanger
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Thank you for those pictures David, I really must venture over your way to get the feel for these wildernesses. Anyway, some updates to the Fortress:

The window dispensers and reinforcing pads for the waist gun limiters have been added. Once dried I sanded the pads into a better profile:

The ball turret opening had to be filled and sanded smooth and I've drilled out the openings for the navigation lights:

The H2S dome fit was completed and primed:

And the fuselage painted, though some touching up still to do with the Dark Earth areas:
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

ME453 wrote:Give me a chance old chap, only just got back from four days in Lincoln. Out on the garden today but may have some time tomorrow! I've been researching my next models too, 2 Mosquitoes (Mk VI) from 515 squadron based at Little Snoring and 1 from 169 squadron from Great Massingham, all in your neck of the woods I believe?
What ever happen to that Wimpy !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Thank you for those pictures David, I really must venture over your way to get the feel for these wildernesses. Anyway, some updates to the Fortress:

Oh please don't - we have a enough of oiks in the holiday season. And if it is a wilderness you want try the Fens of Cambridgeshire or Lincolnshire even!

But the model is continuing to impress - but I feel for Smudger. Must be so disappointing for him, and he seems do brave about it all!

Oh - in case it is of interest Bylaugh Hall - the HQ of 100 Group is just up the road - and in fact is for sale. In the Sparrows book it is shown as a ruin but it has had some restoration. And it still has a reputation of being a place where there were nasty things done during the War with ghosts etc. abounding. In fact is is all a ploy to deter speculators.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

halifax1 wrote:Thank you for those pictures David, I really must venture over your way to get the feel for these wildernesses. Anyway, some updates to the Fortress:

Oh please don't - we have a enough of oiks in the holiday season. And if it is a wilderness you want try the Fens of Cambridgeshire or Lincolnshire even!

But the model is continuing to impress - but I feel for Smudger. Must be so disappointing for him, and he seems do brave about it all!

Oh - in case it is of interest Bylaugh Hall - the HQ of 100 Group is just up the road - and in fact is for sale. In the Sparrows book it is shown as a ruin but it has had some restoration. And it still has a reputation of being a place where there were nasty things done during the War with ghosts etc. abounding. In fact is is all a ploy to deter speculators.

Yes, a brave little soldier........ I will wait my turn :cry:
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Your "turn" is imminent Steve, in fact I did some work on the Wellington last night whilst I was waiting for some paint to dry! I was always taught that patience is a virtue so your place in heaven is assured..........unlike David's who most assuredly will be going down. :twisted:
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk