Fortress III of 214 sqdn, 100 Group

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Fortress III of 214 sqdn, 100 Group

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Max, you have probably seen these but I thought I'd post them so we can see the colours, in relation to your build and the wartime images.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Yes I have John but thanks for looking and posting them anyway. They confirm the stage that I'm doing right now ie painting the exhaust manifolds and flame traps. The latter, I've read elsewhere, were a light brown colour which probably means they were constructed of steel (by Scottish Aviation) which has then tempered like the exhausts would have and hence turned light brown. Painting this whole area realistically is quite a challenge though!
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Painting this whole area realistically is quite a challenge though!

Well, you will just have to meet it dear boy, so get on with it please.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

halifax1 wrote:Painting this whole area realistically is quite a challenge though!

Well, you will just have to meet it dear boy, so get on with it please.

I'm trying to old chap but life and golf, not necessarily in that order, keeps getting in the way!

I'm still reading Laurie Brettingham's fascinating book "Even when the sparrows are walking" about the origin and effect of 100 Group, but I bookmarked p217 last night for you David. It concerns the move of 85 squadron in May 44 to Swannington to act in a bomber support role. It's in the records that "No. 85 squadron were thoroughly dug in at West Malling.....when they were snatched out of their complacency and whirled from the lush Kentish Weald into the frozen north of the foetid fens....." I always thought it an uncivilised place, now I know it's so.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Yes - I know how busy life becomes when you are free to indulge oneself> But swinging a stick at a defenceless little ball has not caught on with me. And yet it should as I like solitary activities - loved sailing on my own for example!

I used to live near West Malling - was a nice area until the Oiks moved in when they covered the airfield in housing etc. I think the Watch Tower is still there but now almost smothered by dwellings. Having experienced the two locations Norfolk is far better. In fact West Malling suffered from the output of the cement works to the North. Norfolk however is constantly swept by the winds from the sea and I doubt was ever foetid. You see in fact we have no fens. They are in Cambridgeshire mainly. I think the author was being unnecessarily dramatic. As you will know we had many Americans up here who loved it and many return for visits even now! Dorset of course is famous too - for it's old fossils and dinosaurs.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

halifax1 wrote: .................. Dorset of course is famous too - for it's old fossils and dinosaurs.
See below!!!!! :shock:
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

halifax1 wrote: .................. Dorset of course is famous too - for it's old fossils and dinosaurs.
I wouldn't mind the scurrilous insinuation John if only the use of the apostrophe was accurate. I'm sure David once knew the grammatical rules regarding the appropriate use of said item but I suspect his increasing age and state of confusion has fuddled his brain.

(Oh dear, heist by my own petard it seems - I've edited your post John instead of quoting it! I can hear old David chortling gleefully e'en as I type! :evil: )
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

So here's my attempt to date of weathering the exhaust manifolds and flame traps. I'm going to add a little more "rusting" but I'm quite happy with progress so far. I started by painting them silver then added very thin washes of a mid and light brown. When this was dry I mixed a thin wash of Payne's grey oil paint and applied it to bring out some of the detail.

www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

I think that when you have added a little more "rusting" they will look pretty good. Maybe a hint of "pink" as well perhaps? I assume (remembering your valid comments upon the "thickness" of certain renderings) you will be attending to the end of the "pipe" - which presently looks a little "thick".

Oh and I am not "chortling" etc. - it is not my policy to knock the afflicted.

ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Jolly good photo David, most useful. The pipes are still a little thick I agree, they were all solid along with several other inlets and ducts on the kit but have been drilled out, but will have further judicious work done.
I'm glad to see that you've had a character change - bless the Lord, miracles do happen.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk