de Havilland Dominie: 1/48th scale

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

de Havilland Dominie: 1/48th scale

Post by ME453 »

Besides the Fortress, I've also have a de Havilland Dominie (pre-war Rapide) on the workbench. These aircraft were mainly used a communications and training aircraft, the latter for training navigators and wireless ops. It is in this last role that my aircraft will be finished, as operating out of No. 2 Wireless School Yatesbury.

The kit I'm using, the only one available in this scale, is Isradecal's offering, a multi-media kit in that some of it is vacuform, some moulded resin, some photo-etch.

I"ve found it quite a challenge so far - interesting and not one that falls together and made the more so by the fact that I am including a pilot figure, instructor and two trainees! More of that later.

www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: de Havilland Dominie: 1/48th scale

Post by ME453 »

I won't bore you with all the details of the build, in truth it doesn't LOOK like there's been a great deal but the demands of the kit are such that I have put in many hours on it, mostly sanding and filling!! The instructions are quite good, but a bit vague in places:

Once the fuselage halves were cut out and sanded, the windows had to be opened out. This shot shows a trial fit of the bulkhead:

I had several suitable figures for the aircrew, little did they nor I know the butchery that was to take place later:

Because of the thickness and position of the floor section there wasn't enough headroom for the crew so I'm afraid their lower limbs and the bases of the chairs had to go!

Eventually with more judicious surgery, the assembly fitted:

So they can now sit there happily legless playing with their knobs under the watchful eye of their instructor!

Very little of which is visible when it's all closed up of course!

This is just anticipating the next stage of fitting the lower wings. I intend fully rigging the plane so all rigging points must first be pre-drilled - that should be fun.

And to let you know the lengths I go to to ensure accuracy in my research, I even went on a flight to experience the pleasure of those trainees and to see some of what they saw!!

All in a day's work of course!

www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Good post, Max.
Anyone who has every gone near a vacuum mold kit will know the efforts you have already gone to. Keep up the great work, mate.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

A few shots of progress with the Dominie. It's been a fairly trouble-free, though not necessarily easy build so far. The ones at Yatesbury had the fairing removed aft of the tail wheel so a bit of surgery and improvisation was needed there. Before I can fit the upper wings I have to paint her as is, then of course rig her.

www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Keep going Max, nice work buddy.
That fuselage certainly has some 'peaks & troughs' in it but nothing a man of your talents can't handle. The wings do look wafer-thin, don't they?
Probably because you only have the one wing on.
I'm sure that chap from Norfolk will be along shortly to offer his tuppence worth. :D
Kitty
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

No, he's gone to ground John!
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk