Paint colours

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Paint colours

Post by R5868 »

Guys, a couple of questions about paint colours.
1. Do you lighten the colour as the scale of the aircraft goes down? That is, should the colour be a shade lighter for a 1/48 than for a 1/32 and subsequently more so for 1/72 and 1/144. This is the norm with model railway enthusiasts who were pedantic about getting the colour correct.
2. What is the correct paint colour for an RAF uniform and work overalls?

Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Paint colours

Post by halifax1 »

Hmmm... this subject is a minefield - when I judged scale model aircraft years ago it was very interesting to see how different people had concepts - sometimes markedly what looked right. I worked on the basis that when viewing a model you were in a similar position to viewing the real thing from a distance. Hence a reduction of the impact of the colour tones and density was appropriate. It also helped to reduced very slightly the contrast between say earth and dark green. So I would say in principle your observations on the model rail enthusiasts is not far off the mark. However they do have the advantage of seeing the real thing where as WWII fans cannot. And do beware restored WWII aircraft. They are notoriously misleading if not downright wrong.

There were many things that influenced the colour of WWII aircraft - even down to how much the paint was stirred - mixed and applied.

So my answer to your first question is yes. But some will disagree and I would not seek to divert them.

As to uniform colour - go with a mix that looks right rather than actuality. I sued to know a chap who made top competition class model soldiers - always winning cups and such - he spent hours blending colours. The precise rendering of the actual never looked right.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

I know and understand the theory Kerry, equivalent to aerial perspective in painting landscapes (ie the lightening of colour with distance), but how do you know when you get it right? I've read heated debates and seen people present actual colour chips from wartime paint factories as evidence to the "correct" colours, but firstly the "correct" colours were often modified as wartime needs dictated, and often unofficially (most certainly "in the field") and secondly the real chips don't make allowance for the scale colour that you are speaking about.
I always use Vallejo Modelair acrylics - they are easy to work with, they dry quickly and can be brush painted in small amounts quite successfully. I've never had any gripes about their "mixes" and my yardstick is "If it looks right to you, then be happy with it!!" My only real complaint is when people paint their bombers black - it's just TOO black so I always use a very dark grey-blue.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
gate1
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by gate1 »

RAF uniform during the war was more grey than it is now.

Overalls generally came in black or navy blue, or khaki, with varying shades thereof!
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

In these screen grabs from the DVD 'Night Bombers' the overalls can be seen to be a shade of khaki

Dave

ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Great shots Dave!! I wouldn't trust the colour renditions bearing in mind all the "processes" the film has gone through to arrive here, but the action itself is brilliant especially the Rose turret being installed.
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Too true Max. The colours aren't a true representation but then the film is about 67 years old and originally filmed on 16mm. The whole DVD is really good and reasonably priced too. Highly recommended.

Dave
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

I don't think I ever saw a pair of those overalls the same colour - they were washed and bleached by the weather so much. I think originally they were a light khaki. Some buttons were I think brass and other bakalite. However note from many photos the airman wore their battle blouses and some NCO's No 1
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

An intreresting picture regarding the Amazon crane. It seems to have received the late war green and black camo scheme but, the boom on the crane has been left RAF blue. The crane boom also has a bright yellow "hi visibility" strip along its spine. It was probably too intricate and time consuming to be done? There is also a "roof rack" on the cab with what looks to be a spare set of rusty chains.

Rgds NM
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

NM said ........There is also a "roof rack" on the cab with what looks to be a spare set of rusty chains.
Tom, I would think that they are acting as a counter balance, yes?
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"