4D Stirling - Under Construction

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Re: 4D Stirling - Under Construction

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Thanks Chaps

Hopefully I'd expect it get very much better - photo realistic is the goal. More importantly the animation should enable me to realise stuff such as the 'dustbin' lowering in flight, shown from inside and outside, Flare launching, both parachute and 'colours of the day' and an undercarriage collapse, loads of stuff never recorded on film, certainly not in colour. A nice smoke curtain from the S.C.I. would perhaps be totally unique, possibly something that was never actually done in real life! A realistic target date is 75 years of the RAF so it will be a long haul!

There are some really nice pics of the Stirling production popping up on Facebook, a nice one of an unglazed Bomb Aimers window frame upside down on the floor for example.

James
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Hi James

Could you send a link to the FB page please

ta

John
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

A realistic target date is 75 years of the RAF ...
Maybe quicker than you think - I make that 1993 :D
Richard
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

"1993" ? Tsk, looks like I missed it! Another late delivery..... I've done the maths and it looks like I meant 100 years!

Anyway, here is the link to the Facebook page. FB is a really bizarre site with no intuitive structure so I just push buttons and hope something turns up. This link should work but you may (or may not) need to join the group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/935640293142224/

The group is called: Short Stirling Heavy Bomber. You will need to scroll around to find the pics, but if you can't let me know. There are a good few in that list thingy, many seem to be 'stills' from 'Speed up on Stirlings'.

James
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Thanks James, will look tonight as the fun police at work stop you looking at FB (not that I even use the thing :roll: )

John L
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Flares

Still puzzled about the so-called Emergency Landing flares, I can't find a flare that will fit in the small tubes and that would either have a parachute or burn on the ground?

The flame floats or sea markers also have to have a tail assy that has a smaller diameter than the main body - again no real candidate.
Attachments
Stirling Flare Chutes 2.jpg
Stirling Flare Chutes 2.jpg (217.79 KiB) Viewed 100620 times
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Probably worth asking the question on the Flypast Forum James

John L
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Hi James

Not sure if you've seen this thread on flares, whivh in itself contains some useful links?

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showth ... ing-Flares

John L
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Hi John

Thanks for that - while the posts were informative, the prompt to search with a different search string was fruitful.

I found a link to a Lancaster document which stated that 4" training flares were used as forced landing flares - I'll check that out. Then I realised too that there were probably only two such flares loaded before a flight and they would have been loaded into the tubes and so there would be no need to provided racking of the appropriate size! I need to check out dimensions.

Cheers
James
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Hi James, the fact that there are 2 guarded switches in the pilots footwell would indicate to me at least that the flares would have been pre-loaded. Interesting discussion this as I've wondered what and where those flares are located